Third Party Press

Looking for additional info on .22 mauser

Hello everyone, I am hoping that someone on this site could help me further identify a rifle. This is a .22 mauser that my great-uncle brought back from WWII. When he got home he gave it as a gift to his kid brother (my grandfather),it was passed to my uncle, and I have had it for a number of years. When I was a kid this was my grandfathers favorite squirrel and rabbit gun, and to this day it is the most accurate .22 I have ever shot. Based on what I have been able to find on the internet I think it is a DSM 34 but other than that, I dont have a clue. On the left side of the barrel it is marked KAL .22 LANG FUR BUCHSEN followed by the serial number 1479 then in much smaller numbers 459, followed by proofmarks BG both with a crown over them and below that a U with a crown over it. The top of the reciever is marked mauser, and the left side has proofmarks B with a crown and U with a crown followed by serial number 1479. On the left side below the proof marks it reads MAUSER-WERKE A.G. OBERNDORF . The right side of the reciever reads Duetches Sportmodell. The bolt is stamped with the B with a crown and U with a crown and the serial number 1479. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone, I am hoping that someone on this site could help me further identify a rifle. This is a .22 mauser that my great-uncle brought back from WWII. When he got home he gave it as a gift to his kid brother (my grandfather),it was passed to my uncle, and I have had it for a number of years. When I was a kid this was my grandfathers favorite squirrel and rabbit gun, and to this day it is the most accurate .22 I have ever shot. Based on what I have been able to find on the internet I think it is a DSM 34 but other than that, I dont have a clue. On the left side of the barrel it is marked KAL .22 LANG FUR BUCHSEN followed by the serial number 1479 then in much smaller numbers 459, followed by proofmarks BG both with a crown over them and below that a U with a crown over it. The top of the reciever is marked mauser, and the left side has proofmarks B with a crown and U with a crown followed by serial number 1479. On the left side below the proof marks it reads MAUSER-WERKE A.G. OBERNDORF . The right side of the reciever reads Duetches Sportmodell. The bolt is stamped with the B with a crown and U with a crown and the serial number 1479. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
you are lucky! I just bought my first KKW. Please post pics.

Yes an Early DSM!!!!

Please do post pictures.

Your gun.if not altered, should look like the top one in the attached picture and is a Deutsches Sportmodell of 1934

Guns this early are not commonly encountered would be from first weeks of production in early 1934.
Quite a bit of info here. Start with stickys read through posts.

You likely will want a copy of "Mauser Small Bores" by Jon Speed.

Always glad to hear when these are being handed down in the family.

Your quest for knowledge on it is commendable and indicative that you will keep it in the family.

History on it will enhance your appreciation of it and what your great uncle did.

After you have done your homework, collectively we have the right people here to give you answers to most questions that would remain.

You have found most the serious students of these in this forum.

Attachments

• 3436a.JPG
    3436a.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thank You!!

Thank you for confirming that this is indeed a DSM 34, and yes, this rifle will be staying in the family, I have no intentions of selling it, only of learning more about it. It does look like the pictured rifle, except that mine is missing the peice of stock that sits on top of the barrel, and it has a mock cleaning rod similar to the one shown in the bottom rifle on your picture. I will post some pictures of the rifle in the next few days.

edit- I just read the article you had posted, and it was very interesting to learn that my grandfathers use of this as a squirrel and rabbit gun was probably more the norm, rather than the exception I had assumed it to be.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back