Third Party Press

Questions On DSM 34 Production By Simpson-Shul.

Just curious as to how many DSM 34's were manufactured by Simpson-Shul ,what date of manufacture would one in the 124K serial number range be and value of one in good condition.

Can't seem to find much on this variation.

Thanks in advance.

simson dsm

simson dsm's are fairly scarce. they were taken over and the name was changed to BSW. Some are even s/a marked. I have a simson dsm34 with an s/a groupe Niedersachsen stamp in the stock. Going to guess here I think they might start a 120,000 - 124,000 roughly. There is a small amout of overlap as with all this stuff.. Post some photos if you can. Id love to see it ! Also welcome and thanks for posting here..

There is some info on the web about simson.. Just google; Simson werke suhl or simson waffen werke suhl there are some bio's online..
simson became BSW and the name was change to gustloff werke...

Impossible to get accurate Guesstimate

Simson used the same serial range FOR ALL .22's. Includes , sporters made in the 20's and current with DSM production as well as a few sporters in 5.6x35 centerfire. DSM and KKW production overlapped and sporters were still being made right up to 1945. Appears certain blocks were dedicated to various models and not all numbers used. There is overlap of Simson marked receivers and BSW subsequent to 1935.

The "high" and "low" numbers in the range are absolutely no indication of quantity produced.

Compared numbers of Simson DSM's observed and recorded vs. other makers observed and recorded such as Mauser (for which we have accurate records and a dedicated range) is of not much help either due to the the geographical locations of the factories, logisitics with marketing, likely more of theirs sold in areas captured by the Russians and British.

What I can tell you is for the American Collector they can be very difficult to find.

Not much help, hopefully did not add to the confusion.

Welcome Aboard

I think I missed your main questions.

You can be relatively certain that one with that serial number and Simson marked was made in either late 34 or early 35. A few Simpson roll marked receivers from the bottom of the bin went out later but had higher serial numbers.

As to value, one with SA property mark in good condition and assuming complete $750 and up in my opinion. Add $ for original sling, rod, and muzzle cover.

Military Rifle Journal
Back