Third Party Press

Gew98, Gew98m, Kar98b montage

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I made this and posted it on Gunboards as a way to illustrate the differences between the different versions of long Gewehr used by the Reichswehr. I know most on this forum probably know the difference, but perhaps this might help some new collectors or guys who don't really study the breed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 98bcomparison.jpg
    98bcomparison.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 1,516
Last edited:
Thanks Mike, I will make sure it stays at the top where it will be easily found by new members.

A brief outline:

The Gewehr98 was manufacture from 1898 through 1919, primarily by German State owned Arsenals and the commercial patent holders (DWM and Mauser Oberndorf). During World War One, several other private manufacturers were brought online to help due to the war.

In the period immediately after the war, no manufacture was undertaken, but plans were made to provide arms for the Reichswehr (Armed Forces - 15,000 Reichsmarine/Navy & 100,000 Reichsheer/Army) between 1920 and 1922. Starting in 1924 the Kar.98b began production at Simson Suhl and upgrading the Imperial era Gewehr98's began at the depots. The Gewehr98's that were upgraded were simply upgraded to accommodate both the S patrone and sS patrone ammunition currently used by the German military, which necessitated replacing the rearsight. The Germans rarely made special reference to this "upgraded" rifle, it was simply known as the Gewehr98 or "Gewehr98 mit sS visier" but collectors have developed several designations to differentiate between an Imperial Gewehr98 and an interwar upgraded Gewehr98. Perhaps most commonly used is "Gew.98M", or "upgraded Gewehr98". Many years ago, collectors that pioneered our hobby used the designations "Gew.98a" or "Gew.98b", the difference being related to the type of rear band employed in the upgrade. (Later upgrades used a wider rear band to provide a more stable connection for the sling)

Starting in 1929, experiments were undertaken to find a more suitable, shorter, rifle for the German military. Mauser Oberndorf Standard Modell and experiments shortening the Kar.98b were undertaken. The shortened Kar.98b was the rifle chosen and eventually this led to the adoption of the Kar.98k.

This is a very brief and superficial outline, many details were left out or abbreviated, this forum was created to further our understanding of these rifles shown above in this thread. Mike, Bruce and myself will be glad to answer any questions you might have regarding the development of the Gewehr98 through Kar.98k, if you have a rifle you are curious about, or a question, create a thread in this forum and we will try and answer your questions.

Last edited:
Great post, very helpful to those of us that are not up to speed on the different WW1/Post WW1 models.

Where did the 98a carbine fit in all this? I know your montage was of the "long Gewehr" models....

Great post, very helpful to those of us that are not up to speed on the different WW1/Post WW1 models.

Where did the 98a carbine fit in all this? I know your montage was of the "long Gewehr" models....

I might as well add the 98a, you are right.

So what do I have?

Thanks for the nice photo comparisons.

So what do I have, or what would you call this?
Amberg 05 - photos attached.
Only thing that looks updated is the sight I think.
Got it about 30 yrs. ago from a gun show walk around guy.

If this post is in the wrong place, sorry. Please move.

Thanks

Attachments

• amberg05a.jpg
    amberg05a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 300
  • amberg05b.jpg
    amberg05b.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 263
  • amberg05c.jpg
    amberg05c.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 236
  • amberg05d.jpg
    amberg05d.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0031 (900x598).jpg
    DSC_0031 (900x598).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_0035 (900x598).jpg
    DSC_0035 (900x598).jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC_0037 (900x598).jpg
    DSC_0037 (900x598).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0038 (900x598).jpg
    DSC_0038 (900x598).jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0039 (900x598).jpg
    DSC_0039 (900x598).jpg
    257 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_0040 (900x598).jpg
    DSC_0040 (900x598).jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 233
Welcome to the forum, your post is ok here.

Your rifle was a upgraded Gewehr98, probably sent to Spain, totally refinished and rather harshly too. The receiver was scrubbed so much that many of the original markings are weak or obliterated.. the serial is not a German applied one, it has been re-numbered.

I've gone through Ludwig Olson's & Robert Ball's book on the Mauser 98, but does the "B" in Mauser98B stand for beritten (mounted)? I read that somewhere but could never find any confirmation.

Or was the B "B" because it followed the 98A?

Probably the latter, though you should refer to "The Book" (volume one) or Collectorgrade's book on the Sturmgewehr which is quite a good book on German rifle development (and well translated); it has several pages or brief comments on the transition to upgrading G98 and 98b introduction.

I've gone through Ludwig Olson's & Robert Ball's book on the Mauser 98, but does the "B" in Mauser98B stand for beritten (mounted)? I read that somewhere but could never find any confirmation.

Or was the B "B" because it followed the 98A?
My understanding is that it was a point of differentiation so no confusion between the 98a and 98b.

As far as mounted, the 98b was forced upon cavalry units in the Reichswehr who absolutely despised it compared to the relatively handy 98a.

Thanks everyone. Vol. 1 was more useful thn Olson or Ball. I wish Dieter Stortz would do something on post WW I Mausers. He has access to a lot of museum stuff.

Last edited:
Do we know what year the 98a came to be? I've been going through Storz without much luck. (keep getting distracted and going off on tangents)

A few hundred were made in 1907 but full production seems to have began in 1908.

Very helpful, Thank You. I came here researching a 1915 Berlin G98M. Unfortunately, Bubba got ahold of the stock. 😢

I have an acquaintance on another Mauser forum, (inthe10ring) [if any of you know him.] He does exquisite stock work, has agreed to make me a nice custom stock. (Since the stock was cut down anyway.) Might as well make a Beauty out of it.

I am currently #17 on his list, so patience will be a virtue. No rush anyway. It's been in the back of my safe for apprx 7-8 years now. Recently pulled it out to research it and became interested again.

Cut and pasted the pertinent info/photo's from this post in order to add to my files. Thanks again.

- Ken -

Very helpful, Thank You. I came here researching a 1915 Berlin G98M. Unfortunately, Bubba got ahold of the stock. 😢

I have an acquaintance on another Mauser forum, (inthe10ring) [if any of you know him.] He does exquisite stock work, has agreed to make me a nice custom stock. (Since the stock was cut down anyway.) Might as well make a Beauty out of it.

I am currently #17 on his list, so patience will be a virtue. No rush anyway. It's been in the back of my safe for apprx 7-8 years now. Recently pulled it out to research it and became interested again.

Cut and pasted the pertinent info/photo's from this post in order to add to my files. Thanks again.

- Ken -
Yes, I saw the photos of your Gew98M in the recent post. It has the hallmarks of one of the old Interams imports from Spain that they cut down the barrels and stocks and bent the bolts to make them into more acceptable hunting rifles. I guess Interarms could be Bubba regarding your rifle.

I appreciate the info. @Stan. There are no import marks on it, that I can find. Made me sick, to discover what had been done to it. 😢

I am working on Beautifying it. 👍😁 (I'd prefer an original, all things considered.)

*Thanks for your input, Sir.

I appreciate the info. @Stan. There are no import marks on it, that I can find. Made me sick, to discover what had been done to it. 😢

I am working on Beautifying it. 👍😁 (I'd prefer an original, all things considered.)

*Thanks for your input, Sir.
Yes, these were brought in during the late 1950's or early 60's. Import markings were usually minimal if present at all back then. Many of those early imports from Spain often seem to have an "8MM" stamp on the rifles in that caliber, but nothing more.

Military Rifle Journal
Back