Third Party Press

what are they using?

Dr.Mauser

I was looking at this pic, and i noticed the slings on the buttstocks were through swivels, not slots, also the hand guards look to come up around the rear sight, are these Vz.24s?

Attachments

• german-soldiers-ww2-graves-fallen-comrades.jpeg
    german-soldiers-ww2-graves-fallen-comrades.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 98
Sure looks that way (Vz.24). The Vz.24 (G.24(t)) was heavily used by German forces throughout the war as a first line rifle. Quality of the Vz.24, IMHO, at worst is the equal to the early K98ks and exceeds the quality of later rifles.

My next buy is a G24(t), that, i am VERY excited about. As for my recently purchased 98/40, any idea where i can find either an original or repo sight hood for it? Also what are the things to look at on a Vz.24 if it was German used, other than the Waffenamts, take down disk, and sling slot?

My next buy is a G24(t), that, i am VERY excited about. As for my recently purchased 98/40, any idea where i can find either an original or repo sight hood for it? Also what are the things to look at on a Vz.24 if it was German used, other than the Waffenamts, take down disk, and sling slot?

Sometimes nothing. They were used in original Czech trim early, then reworked/upgraded at various depots and such. Most have no German markings at all. However, the Vz.24 German mods are generally a blued bolt and removed and plugged wrist swivel. That's it. If they required a rebarrel or more work, or were upgraded at an HzA they will have such markings. Dr.Mauser, go check out the pic sticky reference library.

Dr Mauser, On page four of this forum (contract rifles) there is a thread titled G98/40 pictures. There are several period photos of them that you may be interested in as you recently picked one up I see!

Last edited:
Sure looks that way (Vz.24). The Vz.24 (G.24(t)) was heavily used by German forces throughout the war as a first line rifle. Quality of the Vz.24, IMHO, at worst is the equal to the early K98ks and exceeds the quality of later rifles.

For sure. k98k's seem kinda clunky to nice original vz24's.:behindsofa: Love em both though.

I sent John a pm, thanks guys! I know there are ALOT of different Vz.24s out there, which were the most commonly used by German Forces? I know Romania made them as did the BRNO factory and if memory serves one or two others...i cant find much online when it comes to different weapons used by the Germans, so alk the info, and links you guy can provide is really appreciated. Are there any books documenting it, thats the main focus in my collecting, but i cant find much.

Last edited:
I believe the Romanian VZ24's were contract rifles made by the Czech's. The rifles were identical - minus the top reciever marking 'lion vs romanian' crest. There is also a version marked 1937 on top of the reciever, these rifles were contracted for the Chinese. I heard some were captured and used by the Japanese.

The Vz.24 contracts are rather straightforward. The rifles with an R in the prefix on the serial were Romanian contract and can be found with the dated receivers, such as "1940". Those are tough to find. There was a Chinese contract and Japanese contract for the Vz.24. These rifles have the "1937" and "1938" dates on the receivers. The Japanese contract was in 1939 after Germany took over Brunn II I believe. Some of these 1937 and 1938 rifles are also Czech military accepted "E(Lion)38" for example and were diverted for Czech or German use.

Then, there are the Czech military Vz.24s with the rampant lion receivers and logo receivers which were captured by the Germans and used as is and modified.

Military Rifle Journal
Back