Third Party Press

Mauser KKW with issues

1914mauser

This seems to be the forum I have been looking for with discussion on Mauser smallbores. I hope there are members here that are also interested in the early target and sporting models as well. The over all appearance, of the Mauser KKW I acquired is good but a close inspection revealed that the receiver was tapped, 2 holes in the side, for a scope mount. The proofs, Eagle/N on the barrel and receiver have been ground off but you can see parts of the barrel proof. The blue has been touched up and the rear site, bayonet lug and butt plate were blued. The rear barrel band had a hole drilled in it for a screw to secure it. The front barrel band, the barrel band spring, ram rod and site hood are missing. The barrel and bolt are the only serial numbered parts and they match (1788) and the bolt proof mark is intact. The stock has 2 holes for sling hardware and the stock has been varnished. The butt of the stock has a SA unit/group number (5/171)but there are no serial numbers in the stock channel or on the hand guard. So these are the issues, good and bad. I am planning on stripping the varnish and replacing the upper barrel band and the barrel ban spring. I would also remove the blue on the bayonet lug, rear site and butt plate. I figure at this point minor restoration can't hurt. I would leave the other issues as they are but I am open to suggestions. From my research Mauser only made about 5000-10000 of the KKWs so they are not that common and I am happy to have this example even with the issues. Regards,

Welcome Aboard

Yes you have found several serious Mauser .22 collectors and students here. We also welcome the presentation of the sporting versions made in Germany Prior to 1946.

Your KKW sounds like quite an undertaking.

Will look forward to before and after pictures.

And yes from what you describe you have nothing to loose from restoration.

Good Collecting!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Mauser22! - My main collecting focus is Mauser pocket and vest pocket model pistols but I have acquired a few Mauser .22s . I have an ES 340, ES 340 B, ES 350 B and a Mauser banner marked MAS 45. I look forward to discussions here and will post pictures of the KKW when it is back togerher. Regards,

KKW before pictures

Here are some before pictures. You may of seen it on GunBroker.

Attachments

• BBscrew.jpg
    BBscrew.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 55
  • boltSN&proof.jpg
    boltSN&proof.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 59
  • ButtPlate.jpg
    ButtPlate.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 53
  • lsButt.jpg
    lsButt.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 52
  • rectopKKW&address.jpg
    rectopKKW&address.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 60
  • rsBBands.jpg
    rsBBands.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 48
  • slinghole.jpg
    slinghole.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 47
  • topsite.jpg
    topsite.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 46
  • rsSNproof2.jpg
    rsSNproof2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 54
Good luck to you on your project.

Given the propensity of the SA to substantially mark their firearms with Gruppe identification (PPs on the grip strap and rifles on the butt-stock), I would venture to say that your 5/171 is more probably HJ property. I am not aware how late the Mauser KKWs were produced, but perhaps it might have seen later use by VS unit 5/171.

KKW retaining clip

While reassembling the KKW I discovered the clip on the hand guard is missing. I have seen the hand guards and clips on GunBroker but I only need a clip. I saw the name Jim mentioned on this board as having some milled ones for sale. Can someone please provide his contact info. Thanks in advance. Regards, - Burgess

After pictures

The varnish strip went well and as promised here are some after pictures.

I ran out of sun light and did not get close ups of the barrel band and spring but you can see the rear site and butt plate blue removed. There is a clear shot of the holes tapped in the receiver. You can see and feel the 5/171 in the stock better. I think the stock looks much better. It is still a shame about the sling swivel holes. I'll post some more when I have a chance to take more. Regards,

Attachments

• DSCF0143.jpg
    DSCF0143.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0144.jpg
    DSCF0144.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0146.jpg
    DSCF0146.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0147.jpg
    DSCF0147.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0145.jpg
    DSCF0145.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0148.jpg
    DSCF0148.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Stock repair

.... It is still a shame about the sling swivel holes.

The holes don't look like they would be too difficult to plug. I would use a violin/lute peg taper-reamer to clean the holes and a peg shaver on some light walnut heartwood or walnut sapwood, whatever matches. Orient the grain correctly, use hide glue, and a light tap in. Taping off the surrounding wood and finishing with a quite sharp chisel should do the trick. All things considered, these holes are a small worry compared to the receiver. (At least from my perspective...:biggrin1:)

Your restoration work looks really good!

I know I could plug all the holes but they are part of it's history and it is always good to have something to show what not to do to a collectible rifle. This one has 5 holes in it that do not belong. I would like to find a stacking rod for it but I know that will be a challenge. Regards,

There is a fellow registered at gunboards (?trainerman) who makes cleaning rods for the kkw (the DSM has a stacking rod, but kkw has cleaning rod). Finding an original will likely take a very long time.

Thank you! I will consider that option.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice there may have been some wood removed from the stock where the scope mount would of been?

I just noticed the notch along the left edge and it makes me wonder.

Regards,

The relief under the scope mount is part of the rifle's history and like the stock holes tells a story. Very unobtrusive, in my opinion, and not worth worrying about or needing any remedy.

I agree, This trainer has history with the scars that go along with it. I am pleased with its current status. Maybe someday a nicer one will find its way to me. Thanks to everyone for their comments. Regards,

Military Rifle Journal
Back