Third Party Press

Picked Up this G98M on Gunbroker....

I agree, not much chance of losing money at $200... that seller didn't do himself much good with those atrocious pictures and that description. I didn't even see him state the date of the rifle manufacture, needless to say very many key words to pull up in a search.

It will be good to see pictures of the rifle when you get it, to figure out just what you have. Regarding the "BS" marking, there are two types, this one is generally considered a depot marking.

Mike and Bruce cover this topic in their new book, we discussed this significantly but I do not recall what they went with in the book. They consulted everyone with a worthwhile opinion and examined everything available (prior writing, rifles etc..), then made the call on what they believed correct (as they should, as they will get the credit - and the blame for any errors!).

for that price, i'd take a chance at it too

All we say in the book is that nobody knows for sure, but lay out the two theories. This block style though can probably be attributed to Berlin Spandau depot, as this marking convention was in use during WW1 (i.e. H for Hannover). Either way it's truly unknown exactly what it is.

Thanks for the replies...and an answer to the question...Looking forward to getting this one and as i said earlier will post pics when in hand...thanks again!

Sweet!

Good find! I am also looking forward to your pictures, especially the top of the receiver, really wanted to see that stamping.

Military Rifle Journal
Back