Third Party Press

P.38 stamped metal grips

Kammerjaeger

I am looking for clarification on stamped metal grips for P.38. I have always thought that the stamped metal grips we sometimes see were manufactured solely post war under French direction for the French supervised svw P.38's. I have been told recently though, that the genesis of the stamped metal grips was at the tail end of the Reich and that some were actually manufactured prior to the end of the war and then carried on under French supervision. What is the straight story guys, or do we actually even really know? Thanks.

KJ

It is my understanding that they were solely French. You will get better responses on the P38 forum. Regards,

The P.38 forum includes many of the top P.38 collectors in the world. What they say is true - the svw P.38s w/metal grips are French.
The trick is finding an all-German svw. Not rare, but pretty scarce.

I'm not aware of any real evidence suggesting that these grips were made during the war, and I have seen these metal grips with fake markings, but I wouldn't put it past the Germans to have designed them before the war ended. Its right up the ally of the last ditch design model (sheetmetal grips were designed for the HSC and Volkspistole). It almost makes no sense for Mauser (under the French) to design new, sheetmetal grips only for post war production. Then again, what sense does it make to actually produce them and use them. I would think that if you were collecting P.38's you do well to have a post war French P.38 with the metal grips anyway.

For comparison here is an April 1945 "f" block all German gun with blued barrel and phosphate frame & slide. Not in perfect condition, but honest...

attachment.php

Attachments

• svw45.jpg
    svw45.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 87

Military Rifle Journal
Back