Third Party Press

Trying to find info an a bnz-43

Hello! I have a 1943 Mauser K98 bnz-43 rifle that my uncle said he brought back from the War. He said they found an abandoned amory or factory and took the rifles that were there. Unfortunately, he is no longer alive so I don't have much more information than that. I have done some research online and have discovered that this rifle was manufactured at Steyr-Daimler-Puchs AG in 1943. It has the WaA623, WaA77, ans WaA135 Waffenamts. Serial number is in the 49xx series and all s/n's match on the bolt area, sight base, sight leaf and on the metal on the underside of the gun. There is no s/n on the sight adjustment. There is no letter associated with the s/n. Numbers also match on the bolt lever, safety and top of bolt. They are in the 02xx series. Underside of the rifle butt stock appears to have a C stamped in it with some sort of Waffenamt that I cannot make out from wear. It has the bnz/1 shield on it and a letter near that shield that might be an "h" but it is partially obscured. Wood is in decent shape, little rust, i have the original leather strap but am missing the cleaning rod. No bayonet either. I have not taken metal apart from wood to check any of the hidden s/n's but I think they will match. There is no firing proof on the part of the bolt expected but there are a couple of weird stamps on the underside of the bolt lever. One might be a rune or some little "x" or swastika and the other looks like some sort of square with maybe a V or a triangle in the middle (hard to tell). Anyway, I'm just trying to find some info about this rifle so I can have another part of my uncle's story and can share the history with my family. Understanding value would be good, too, but not necessary bc to me it's priceless. Besides what I have found out on the Internet, what can you all tell me about it? Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum!

You are correct, BNZ43 indicates your rifle was manufactured by Steyr in 1943. If the serial number is not followed by a letter, then this would put it very early in 1943. Your description is a little confusing, but it sounds like the bolt is mismatched to the rifle, which is very common to rifles brought back after the war.

With pictures it would be much easier for members to comment.

Thanks RyanE! I don't have any photos handy, but I will try to get some later today when I have a few free minutes. :) Interesting, though...I didn't think the #'s on the bolt & safety had to match the s/n's on the rest of the gun. I just thought that from info I've seen on the interwebs. I promise...pictures soon!

Where do you find the WaA135? On the bolt?

Thats a mauser part and if so, the bolt is not matching as stated above.

The two bands on the front should also have matching numbers.

Looking forward to pictures..

Military Rifle Journal
Back