Third Party Press

Fake cleaning rod ...?

Hi all,

I bought a 98 back in 1992 and left it with family since then. I recently got it back and started getting into it after all these years...better late than never I suppose is meaningful in this case...

I always thought the cleaning rod sticking out the end was fishy and likely to be fake, as it just doesn't make sense mechanically, even though I never tried to pull it out...

Now in 2013 I got back into this thing and have some ammo....I start looking at that "cleaning rod", get a wrench and get a bit of a shock, b/c it's so clearly fake it's shameful.

DETAILS:
#14787 c
Mod 98
SVM MB

serial numbers match on parts I can see. From the little bit of research I've done tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if some dealer tried hard to make this interesting but non-collector gun a lot more interesting to the novice...?

In addition to the fake rod, there's a metal plate that covers the end of the wood frame where the top most band is that I'm sure is garbage added on too.

Cheers,
wbg

SSPX0131.jpg

Last edited:
Not fake. This is a stacking rod for a French-produced svwmb. Your rifle was made at Mauser under French supervision.

Not fake. This is a stacking rod for a French-produced svwmb. Your rifle was made at Mauser under French supervision.

hah....yeah I figured it was something the more I read online... thanks!

also, this rifle doesn't have a the take down washer...? It has the three holed built in tool to disassemble the firing pin and spring, but not the larger metal
tool in the butt...

TIA,
wbg

SSPX0133.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back