Third Party Press

98k repro sniper butt plate or real???

MrHaney

To dave roberts
hi dave i need your help. I know they are making repro sniper butt plates for the k98 mauser.
With the checkering on the outside. Have they made any with the checkering showing in the inside of the butt plate?? All the fakes i know only show the checkering on the out side.
Thanks
bob

To dave roberts
hi dave i need your help. I know they are making repro sniper butt plates for the k98 mauser.
With the checkering on the outside. Have they made any with the checkering showing in the inside of the butt plate?? All the fakes i know only show the checkering on the out side.
Thanks
bob

Dave just guided me through this a couple of months ago, for i was in a situation where i was unsure also..

Yes...they do make repros with checkering on the inside, but the key is whether it is also on the rim of ths screw hole indentions...

Dave wil probably have the pics to show you the difference, but if you have a pic of the checkering on the inside and the out side there are some key clues there also on certain copies that would be very helpful for him to tell you for sure.

If anybody can tell you the diff it will be Dave. I am sure he will be along shortly

Good luck...and good idea to check first.... Dave saved me saved me 400 smackeroos when I did.

AG

Last edited:
HI AG
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I WAS'NT SURE . CHECK OUT AAS-SNIPER 98K. THEY ARE SHOWING ONE STATING THAT IT IS ORIGINAL.
245,00e
LOOKS GOOD BUT????
REGARDS
BOB

I didnt find the one you were speaking of when I went there but if they are asking 245 E it most likely isnt.

That is only 338 usd and that sounds kinda cheap since real ones can go for a thousand and more.

I will reiterate that I am no expert , but I have broadened my knowledge base these past several months while constructing a couple of Repro snipers and from what I have learned " fake everything " sniper related is far and wide..

If some unknowing individual had it for 245E then it might be possible , but no company with a website is selling real sniper BP,s for 245 E ....of that I am certain...

IMHO of course...Good Luck...

You made a good call..Dave is your go to guy on this stuff...

Good Luck

Real or repro ? 98k butt plate for 98k sniper....

Agreed! Dave is a great resource and won't steer you wrong!

GO TO a$$-SNIPER 98, CLICK FOR ENGLISH, BROWSE DOWN TO SCOPES TO SCOPES & MOUNTS TO GERMANY ON PAGE 5 THIRD ONE DOWN THERE IS THE 98K BUTTPLATE
ANOTHER WAY TO ROBB YOU ????\240 e
REGARDS
BOB

Known fake variants

There are 3 fake sniper buttplates that I know of:

1- Interordnance fakes- these are the cheap ones on ebay with weak cross hatching, easy to spot

2- "French Fakes" - I've been told thats what these are called. These have checkering inside the buttplate like a real one, but they are not correct. I'll post some photos for this thread.

3- Iron Elite repros - again, good repros/fakes, but not correct. I have one of these on a repro sniper, probably one of the better repros (the French Fakes are good repros too)

The following photo shows a French Fake compared to an Interordnance Fake- this one the seller was claiming the French Fake as original, and it isn't. How to tell? If you notice, the checkering goes all the way down the screw hole (you can see the pattern on the backside of the beveled edges). On originals, the checkering was stopped at the edge of the holes to prevent this. Also, you can see tha the holes are machined out- originals are just stamped. To be fair, most people can't tell the difference or don't know about these fakes. I'll have to take photos of the Iron Elite repro.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sniper%20plate04_01.jpg
    sniper%20plate04_01.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 237
  • sniper%20plate08_01.jpg
    sniper%20plate08_01.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Real or fakes??

there are 3 fake sniper buttplates that i know of:

1- interordnance fakes- these are the cheap ones on ebay with weak cross hatching, easy to spot

2- "french fakes" - i've been told thats what these are called. These have checkering inside the buttplate like a real one, but they are not correct. I'll post some photos for this thread.

3- iron elite repros - again, good repros/fakes, but not correct. I have one of these on a repro sniper, probably one of the better repros (the french fakes are good repros too)

the following photo shows a french fake compared to an interordnance fake- this one the seller was claiming the french fake as original, and it isn't. How to tell? If you notice, the checkering goes all the way down the screw hole (you can see the pattern on the backside of the beveled edges). On originals, the checkering was stopped at the edge of the holes to prevent this. Also, you can see tha the holes are machined out- originals are just stamped. To be fair, most people can't tell the difference or don't know about these fakes. I'll have to take photos of the iron elite repro.

attachment.php

attachment.php

mrfarb
thank you for posting the photo's about the fake sniper butt plates. I would like to see the other photo's from iron elite repro. , how can that frence site keep selliing?
Collectors like you and the others are a big help .
Thanks
bob

One more photos for you Bob- this is what an original looks like up close. Notice how the checkering stops short of the hole. On the backside there is no checkering on the shoulder like the French one (this is the only photo I have at the moment). Every original looks like this around both holes, but it's not as pronounced as the bottom hole (pictured here).

attachment.php

Attachments

• buttplate.jpg
    buttplate.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 231
Original or repro??

one more photos for you bob- this is what an original looks like up close. Notice how the checkering stops short of the hole. On the backside there is no checkering on the shoulder like the french one (this is the only photo i have at the moment). Every original looks like this around both holes, but it's not as pronounced as the bottom hole (pictured here).

attachment.php

hi mrfarb,
great pictures again thanks. To all that helped. That what collecting is all about. Helping the others out.
And saving them some money as well!!!
Bob

Hi Bob
Sorry I have been absent for a few days . I do see you were well taken care of . Professor that taught me about these helped You as well . Good Job Mike . Agalland I am glad I could help You learn a bit . Now your the teacher . That`s what this Forum is for .

Last edited:
Hi dave i was in good hands!!

hi bob
sorry i have been absent for a few days . I do see you were well taken care of . Professor that taught me about these helped you as well . Good job mike . Agalland i am glad i could help you learn a bit . Now your the teacher . That what this forum is for .

hi to all!! Dave your are right i was in good hands. .
Regards
bob

Military Rifle Journal
Back