Third Party Press

K98 rifle grenade launchers

miles136

Some day I will take better photos of these things which they really deserve, and I will replace these with those, but they are so interesting I wanted to post them up

somehow over the weekend of the SOS I became a K98 rifle grenade launcher collector

the first is really unusual and must be scarce, maybe the first model fielded (after the spigot type which Im not sure anyone has even seen in reality?)...it is 1942 (42) dated on the cup and clamp and is coded "ch" for FN, shows some wear, but in overall very nice shape...notice how the cup part of the launcher is very different from the standard common type...I found an earlier made "aye" coded sight and 42 dated pouch for it

I also picked up an unissued "bnz" coded complete set...even had a strange little carboard cover on the end that must have been in there when it was issued

and lastly I was able to pick up an all phosphate launcher...it is really cool, and the pics dont do it justice...it is coded "jnw" it seems......notice that it is coated on the threads? with something, maybe blued there or coated to make it screw in easier I dont know...see that the bore is also phosphate so it is definately coated, maybe it is carbon from firing it? but is doesnt look used much...notice how the threads are milled into it differently than the bnz one...I noticed the difference when I was taking pics...I have a 43 dated pouch for it but Ill need a wrench, another sight, and Id like to get a later dated pouch if such a thing exists?

I managed to get two types of rifle grenades that are nicely marked and a set of grenade bags....I used to have one of the wooden blank rounds used for firing these too, and I sold it...that will be tough to find again....they are different from the standard wooden 8mm blanks

both wrenches I have are "clc" made and I know there is at least one other maker, Id like to find one of those wrenches....and get another 42 dated pouch or two, because well now that Im a grenade launcher collector I might as well go all out right????

First the 42 dated early set

Attachments

• 98k grenade launchers 001.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 001.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 82
  • 98k grenade launchers 002.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 002.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 66
  • 98k grenade launchers 005.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 005.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 98k grenade launchers 010.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 010.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 98k grenade launchers 011.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 011.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 98k grenade launchers 014.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 014.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
bnz coded set

Attachments

• 98k grenade launchers 017.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 017.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 98k grenade launchers 018.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 018.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 98k grenade launchers 016.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 016.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 98k grenade launchers 020.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 020.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 66
phosphate launcher

Attachments

• 98k grenade launchers 032.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 032.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 98k grenade launchers 035.jpg
    98k grenade launchers 035.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC07832.JPG
    DSC07832.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC07835.JPG
    DSC07835.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC07836.JPG
    DSC07836.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC07837.JPG
    DSC07837.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC07838.JPG
    DSC07838.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC07839.JPG
    DSC07839.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC07840.JPG
    DSC07840.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I seen a few sets but didn't look close.

Man, I would love to have found that bnz set and a phos set..... WOW!!

Great score!!!

I need to look at these more closly but I know I didn't have the money these get anyway...

You are officially known as the "grenade launcher guy". You picked up some neat ones at the show- the phosphate being the hardest to get, but the bnz hard to get as well.

I am so envious, a BNZ and a phosphate launcher, I feel lame with just a GCT coded launcher. Outstanding collection.

Added a few better pics of the phosphate launcher...Ill replace the others with better pics as soon as I get time

Keep an eye out for this type with a slot milled in the base (right through the markings); intended for use on Norwegian Krags.

Fits the shortened Krags (about K98k length) made under German occupation; haven't tried it on a long version, either Norwegian or occupation.

Fits the shortened Krags (about K98k length) made under German occupation; haven't tried it on a long version, either Norwegian or occupation.

Great info...If I ever did see one without knowing this Id likely have thought it messed with post war

Some years ago there was a flood of launcher rigs in from Norway and launchers by themselves were to be found at most gunshows at a fraction of their current prices. I was pawing through a bunch of them and found one with the slot. Since I hadn't seen one like it before I bought it on principle; it took me years (and finding an occupatiuon Krag carbine) before I figured out what it might be for. Then I got a copy of Hanevik's book on the Norwegian Krags (Norwegian text) wherein all was made clear. I haven't seen another since but they are probably out there but unrecognised. I've always wondered just how well the Krag took to handling rifle grenades since the wrists are so thin but if fired from under the arm German style and not butted on the ground perhaps they could take it. I have no idea if the regular German sight or some modification of it was used with these or not.
BTW, if you can find it you should get a copy of Heidler's book on launchers. A first-class job but now out-of-print (German text).

I know I'm late to the party, but are we sure that is not 'bhz' (A. Recker Maschinenfabrik) on that launcher? That 'n' sure looks like an 'h' to me...

I also love that phosphate launcher.

I know I'm late to the party, but are we sure that is not 'bhz' (A. Recker Maschinenfabrik) on that launcher? That 'n' sure looks like an 'h' to me...

I also love that phosphate launcher.

Well I see what you mean, but the bnz launchers had a certain style of lettering, just like this...the stamps on mine are sloppier and pretty deep I think this is a later made set..and these photos suck

bender has a bnz one maybe he can post up youll see what I mean

Im going to get better pics when I get time to

Ressurecting an old thread, but I figured this was as good a place as any to ask a GGG related question or two.

Firstly, is there an existing book or other publication which covers them in any detail? I recall a German language book that is out of print I saw somewhere on the "interweb", I don't recall the name.

Second, anyone ever see "in the flesh" the item in the lower right of the attached photo? I assume it is for cleaning the schiessbecher.

I think I am going to try to create a comprehensive a database on these, any and all info would be appreciated. The article in the accessory chapter in BBOTW is a start, but we know more now.

Jeff

Attachments

• manual1.jpg
    manual1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
You want Michael Heidler's book; a second ed. is now out.
The gizmo is for cleaning the tube. Heidler could never find one.

Military Rifle Journal
Back