Third Party Press

Patrone 22 long rifle

Gryskop

I have recently inherited this .22 rifle and would like to get more info regarding the model, origin and history of this rifle. Anybody out there that could help please...?
I have done some research on GOOGLE but still not sure if I am on the right track.
"PATRONE 22 LONG RIFLE" Stamped on the barrel with Serial number 110748 and the number 459 folowed with the letters B U G with a crown on the B and G.
"MAUSER -WERKE A-G OBERNDORF A.N" stamped on the receiver.

Attachments

• Geweer-2.jpg
    Geweer-2.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Geweer-10.jpg
    Geweer-10.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
its an ms420 mauser multi shot rifle. The scope is commercial and very modern. Not sure if the stock is altered ? take that butt pad off and look.

.22 long rifle.

Thanks for the feedback,I will have to wait for my licence before I can take a look at the butt of the stock.
Rifle are currently held at the police.
As far as I could find out,this is actually a very nice little gun to shoot and very accurate.
Was this the same model used for target practice by the german military...?

Your MS420

Thanks for the feedback,I will have to wait for my licence before I can take a look at the butt of the stock.
Rifle are currently held at the police.
As far as I could find out,this is actually a very nice little gun to shoot and very accurate.
Was this the same model used for target practice by the german military...?

Those that remained in Germany likely were pressed into service as trainers as nearly all .22 rifles available were used to some extent as such.

The repeaters did not sell well in Europe when these were made due to economic conditions and the requirement for competition rifles to be single shot.

Most were exported with S. Africa being one of the larger markets, along with Sweden, NZ, Australia, Canada and S. America.

These are hard to find intact in the U.S. as few imported before War, few captured in Reich during war and returned as War Booty.

Congratulations!

The stock appears original length but may have had the curve removed to install pad. Must have been a tall operator. also see some alteration around safety area but can't make it out in picture.

Your gun made approximately 1931-32 and many of these sat in inventory unsold for some months even years due to the global economy of the time.

Good Shooting!!!

Mauser 22

Hi
Thank you very much for the feedback,much appreciated.
I will definitely use this rifle on the farm for target practice,have to stay in shape for the hunting season.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I think the one I've had for years (and not knowing exactly which model it was) is the same as Gryskop's. A bit more 'original' though. A very well made firearm, would it be rude to consider it 'dainty'? (let's say compared to a 52 Winchester)
Jim

Patrone usage

on2wheels52, Welcome to the forum!
It's funny (to me) that you brought this thread up because I was taking notes on Mauser smallbores today, specifically looking for 'PATRONE .22 LONG RIFLE' explanations. So, Thanks!
I think of these as 'dainty' too. Haha... In comparison to some other Mauser sporters, etc.

I have a question about the 'PATRONE .22 LONG RIFLE'. Did Mauser mark the caliber in the word 'Patrone' for export sales to Sweden/S. Africa/ and other countries while leaving it 'KAL .22 LANG FUR BUCHSEN' for domestic sales? When did the 'Patrone' word usage end?

Military Rifle Journal
Back