Third Party Press

Help! Need advice on Erma conversion kit!

bampa

Help! Need advice on Erma conversion kit! (pics added)

I recently bought a K98 rifle (1940 27 code) with an Erma 1937 conversion kit installed. The kit is in great overall condition and came with two 1938-dated magazines but no box or tool. From what I can see the kit is matching, but I haven't had it out of the rifle to check the barrel number. The kit bore is excellent. The rifle is nothing to shout about -- the stock is mismatched; it's from an early Mauser. Also, although the rifle has complete proofs, it is import marked. The rifle does have a period sling and hood, and what appears to be a repro rod. The original rifle bolt and floorplate/follower and not included.

I got this from a dealer and probably paid too much -- $850. Still, I thought it was a nice addition to my collection. However, when I got it home I found the kit bolt is missing what appears to be a spanner "jam" nut that goes on the end of the safety. The safety flops around somewhat. You have to sort of position the safety after you cock it to get it to fire. I assume finding this spanner nut would be next to impossible.

So, my question is whether I should return the rifle and kit it to the dealer. Please give me some advice as I only have a few days to return the rifle if need be! Thanks in advance for any replies....

Attachments

• erma 2.jpg
    erma 2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 26
  • erma 3.jpg
    erma 3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 28
  • erma 6.jpg
    erma 6.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 25
  • erma1.jpg
    erma1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 30
  • erma4.jpg
    erma4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 27
  • erma5.jpg
    erma5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 30
  • erma7.jpg
    erma7.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
you do not mention if other parts of the rifle match? maybe you can post some pics. maybe you can farm it out for parts and break even or make $, otherwise I'd probably return it

you do not mention if other parts of the rifle match? maybe you can post some pics. maybe you can farm it out for parts and break even or make $, otherwise I'd probably return it

The rifle has matching bands, ejector box, barrel and receiver. It has an old, discreet CIA import stamp on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle. The flat-buttplate stock is in nice shape with WaA 63 proofs....

What is the addition to the collection? The conversion kit or the boltless Mauser? At $850, you are near the value of the kit. I would keep it and ditch the Mauser to sell the parts to lower your investment.

Military Rifle Journal
Back