Third Party Press

Something interesting

Warrior1354

ax - hole
I'm going to post a complete thread on this rifle here in the next couple days but I'm trying to identify what Depot did the work. The marking is not the clearest so we would probably have to go by the type of Eagle they used and compared to others. But it became even more exciting this evening when I remove the butt plate off it. It has the veterans information on it and his shipping address!

Still I'm so happy with this rifle and I thank Dave Roberts for telling me about it and letting me bid on that.

Give me some time will post a complete picture thread on it as well it's one hell of a rifle!

Attachments

• 474_1.jpg
    474_1.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 474_3.jpg
    474_3.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 474_5.jpg
    474_5.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 474_14 (1).jpg
    474_14 (1).jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210409_173705.jpg
    20210409_173705.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210411_174644.jpg
    20210411_174644.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210411_175037.jpg
    20210411_175037.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 131
Pretty sure that's HZaJt20. Nice find.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I believe your hundred percent correct Ryan that's the one that I kept thinking the marking resembled but I couldn't make out the marking 100%. Maybe under direct outside light might give a better image of the proof stamp.

That one is damn cool on so many levels! I always try to remove the buttplate on new acquisitions in the hope of finding something cool but still no luck! Haha!

It was kind of Dave to draw your attention to it, congratulations on this beautiful piece.

Ryan is correct with HZaJt20, HZa Ingolstadt was responsible to inspect and maintenance Gewehre (t) - Polish rifles. If another HZa weapons workshop wanted to install a new barrel on such a rifle, the Polish barrel had to be requested via the HZa Ingolstadt.

Regards,
Stephan

It was kind of Dave to draw your attention to it, congratulations on this beautiful piece.

It sure was. First picture I thought what's going on here and then by the 2nd and 3rd I knew you'd gotten something interesting. Great grab!

Ryan is correct with HZaJt20, HZa Ingolstadt was responsible to inspect and maintenance Gewehre (t) - Polish rifles. If another HZa weapons workshop wanted to install a new barrel on such a rifle, the Polish barrel had to be requested via the HZa Ingolstadt.

Thanks for the additional information. Learn something new every day here.

Wait.. You are able to tell what depot did the work based on the eagle shape or type?

Last edited:
Excellent find Warrior. Tempts me to remove the buttplates on all of my rifles ;)

Weldon Hawley Brudlos, La Crosse, Wisconsin. Born 11-16-1917, died on 07-08-1995, in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

I could not find an entry for him for his service records, which means his records were probably destroyed in the great fire of 1973. However, this:

T/Sgt. Weldon Brudlos
381st Squadron of the Heavy Bombardment Group
Aerial engineer and top turret gunner on a B-17.

1945-06-24_Trib_p03_Weldon_Brudlos.jpg

It sure was. First picture I thought what's going on here and then by the 2nd and 3rd I knew you'd gotten something interesting. Great grab!

Thanks for the additional information. Learn something new every day here.

You are very welcome, but I have to correct a mistake, it's important.

I meant "Gewehre (p). For Gewehre (t) it was an other HZa.

..I meant "Gewehre (p). For Gewehre (t) it was an other HZa.

Yes (p) for Polen, not (t) for Tschechoslowakei for the new guys or anyone else wondering what we're talking about. This is how the Germans referred to those weapons from these countries. I looked right at it Stephan and it slipped right by. I knew what you meant though.

Yes, generally. Some are distinctive.

Interesting, i have a Gewehr 98M without an HZA marking, but it has an eagle on the stock Heel, and behind the take down disc I wonder if it could be deciphered
IMG_3552[1].JPG
IMG_3551[1].JPG

Last edited:
Interesting, i have a Gewehr 98M without an HZA marking, but it has an eagle on the stock Heel, and behind the take down disc I wonder if it could be deciphered

That eagle would have had a HZa under it if original. Some of the eagles as part of the depot inspection are the same or similar, some different and distinctive.

That eagle would have had a HZa under it if original. Some of the eagles as part of the depot inspection are the same or similar, some different and distinctive.

I though so aswell, until i found another Gewehr 98M just like this one that also had both eagles without the HZa under them strange pieces honestly, probably a variation lost in history

I though so aswell, until i found another Gewehr 98M just like this one that also had both eagles without the HZa under them strange pieces honestly, probably a variation lost in history

I’m not buying it, sorry. It deviates from inspection practices considerably. I do not wish to get into a debate revolving around “you haven’t seen everything” and “anything is possible” , etc.

I’m not buying it, sorry. It deviates from inspection practices considerably. I do not wish to get into a debate revolving around “you haven’t seen everything” and “anything is possible” , etc.

Its no problem, I think everyone is entitled to what they believe. For all i know the marking has nothing to do with depots

Last edited:
I can tell by the stock markings (without taking the eagle into account) it’s a depot rifle. I think the issue is the eagle with nothing else is not typical so will always be viewed with suspicion. But, I’ve seen odd things before. The key is don’t overpay for non-standard stuff and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed completely, i posted the rifle in 2019 October in the Weimar forum, just after i purchased it. alot of similar responses. anyway i didn't want to steal any threads, The rifle that Warrior posted is a real stunner

Regards,
Stephan

Would Ingolstadt have marked them as well? My wz98a has a Ws1 for Wels, stamped on the barrel (appears to be the original barrel) and stock.

Military Rifle Journal
Back