Third Party Press

Sporterized Green Heart DSM34

AQBill

Dear German Military Trainer Fans,

Although I have a number of .22 rimfire rifles and pistols already, it seems as though I always want a few more. I just purchased a Green Heart Thuringen 22 LR, Single Shot Rifle, DEUTSCHES SPORTMODELL SN 3698. It has a 26-inch barrel and it has many K98-like features - although with a one-piece sporterized stock that looks to be made from its original stock rather than the full military stock. You can see pictures of it at:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/639910718

Anything you could tell me about this rifle would be greatly appreciated.

AQBill:biggrin1:

Well, what's there looks fine.. problem is there's a lot missing. Lez Folks in Poland makes drop in stock sets for dsm34's and they are amazing .
But, you will need bands as well.. I have lower bands upper bands I was told can be made from an K98 H band. I have never tried it though.
Lez's web address is Foxmilitary or something along those lines. Just google that and you should be able to find it.

The stock I bought from him is more like a universal fit which means that it still needs to be massaged. Nice looking stock and hand guard. He will make you the upper and lower bands as well. He was also able to get a buttplate with screws, disassembly disk, and sling hook as well. He didn't have the hand guard retaining clip. He will ask for some pictures of the receiver of the rifle as I recall. I took some pictures of mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 30
If you ask nice he will even match an existing stock. I had a hand guard made other than some age and dings its amazing how close it came out.

Thanks guys but I must ask...what would be the motivation for me to spend another $500 or more on this particular rifle? Even with a beautiful new reproduction stock, it will not be original. Perhaps I should re-sell it to one of you folks if you think it a worthy piece. I just thought it would be fun to shoot a bit of history!

I appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

if you want to shoot it have fun... it wont shoot any better in a new stock for sure. Its yours to do what you like..

Thanks guys but I must ask...what would be the motivation for me to spend another $500 or more on this particular rifle? Even with a beautiful new reproduction stock, it will not be original. Perhaps I should re-sell it to one of you folks if you think it a worthy piece. I just thought it would be fun to shoot a bit of history!

I appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

I try not to work on any project rifles myself but I bought the sporterized DSM-34 for an extractor. I ended up finding an extra one. The metal was so nice I went for a replacement stock. Because the metal did not drop right in, the stock is parked in my closet.

Range Report

Dear Fellow Green Heart Enthusiasts,

Sent a few CCI SV 40-grain bullets down range this morning at 50-yards and am happy to report that my sporter Thüringen Green Heart (SN 3698) does a very creditable job of keeping them in the same spot. I initially set the rear sight at 50 meters and the rifle grouped the first 10 rounds at precisely the same elevation but with a 1-inch windage spread - about 3-inches above the point of aim - using a 6 o'clock hold on the bottom of an NRA 23/5 target bull.

I then dropped the rear sight down to 25 meters - it's lowest elevation - and the next 5 rounds chewed up the bullseye 10-ring about 1 & 7/8-inches above the point-of-aim with a 5-shot grouping of about 0.4-inches. Then let a friend try it out and he kept 5-rounds under 0.75-inch in the center of another of the target bulls. Needless to say, we were both very impressed with the rifle's accuracy. Even given that we shot off a nice benchrest set-up, that's pretty darned amazing for an 80-year-old rifle with open sights. My curiosity piqued, I will go back tomorrow when the range will be empty and see what I can accomplish at both 50- and 100-yards with some match-grade ammunition.

Stay tuned! And I'll have some pictures tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Cheers,
AQBill

Military Rifle Journal
Back