Third Party Press

71/84 range report

jetmek

So this past weekend I braved the calf deep snow and took my recently acquired rifle to try it out for the first time. I would have to guess it hadn't been fired in decades by the grease I cleaned from the barrel. I found that it was way more fun than I expected. I was shooting from a benchrest. I think it would have been more of a chore freehanded due to its weight. It was very acute at 100yrds probably more than my newer rifles. It was quite a conversation starter also with the Glock crowd there shooting due to the black powder smoke. I was using Ammo I got from Buffalo arms co. It was made from starline 50-110 brass and the only complaint was the rim of the case was a few thou too big and sometimes would hang up in the mag tube. I trimmed about 010 off the od in the lathe(ya I know) and they functioned fine. I also tried out my 1891 ARG for the first time but that was a fail because it wouldn't strip rounds from the mag. After monkeying around with it that nite , I think the mag wasn't locked into place fully so thankfully it was a minor thing ...All in all a good way to waste an afternoon...

Nice. Glad it went well. Was that the Buffalo Arms ammo loaded with "Swiss" Black Powder?. That stuff really does perform with lots of flame and smoke in my 71. I don't take it or the 71 Cavalry Carbine to the regular shooting line as we have a separate Black Powder only range at the club. It does indeed alarm the AR15 crowd and gets a few comments as well. Great fun.

What? No pics? You know that won't do. Or is this the tiger stripe you posted pics of in December?

Twenty degrees here in LA this morning-man I can't imagine winter in upstate NY - brrr. But, will be back in the 70s here next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got out too shoot it, they are fun to shoot. When I first got mine I was also able to get some original late 1800's ammo for my collection to go with the gun. I had a few extra rounds which I shot at the range well besides all the smoke, it shot a flame out the barrel too. That was a show stopper for sure. It's a little to cold for me to go shooting on Long Island and now we have some snow so hope Spring will be here soon.
Bernie

Military Rifle Journal
Back