Third Party Press

Possible SS rifle? SSZZA4

italiano711

Hey, I just bought this k98 and it was advertised as an SS contracted rifle and I just want to be sure I got what I paid for. I've heard that some Gew. 98s were converted to k98's early in the war for SS use and I think this is one of them. Its made at mauser Obendorf in 1907 and I'm not sure why 1920 is stamped at the top, as the k98's started being manufactured in the mid 30s (maybe was repaired in 1920).

Anyways, here are some pics. If anyone could tell me more info on my new rifle I would appreciate it!

(The second pic shows the SSZZA4 marking)

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 142
Is the stock numbered to the rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have what's left of a late SS rework, not an original Gew.98 rework. Many "junk" parts (along with some new parts) were assembled by the SSZZA4 facility, your example seems to be an earlier type with the SSZZA4 on the right side of the barrel, and appears legit. With that said, the stock and bands are not original to the rifle as stocks and bands were numbered to match. Most likely the only original component is the barreled receiver, and that appears to be in poor condition with the pitting, and possibly refinished. Not a whole lot of value there in my opinion. It's also odd that it appears to have no barrel code, or does it?

You have what's left of a late SS rework, not an original Gew.98 rework. Many "junk" parts (along with some new parts) were assembled by the SSZZA4 facility, your example seems to be an earlier type with the SSZZA4 on the right side of the barrel, and appears legit. With that said, the stock and bands are not original to the rifle as stocks and bands were numbered to match. Most likely the only original component is the barreled receiver, and that appears to be in poor condition with the pitting, and possibly refinished. Not a whole lot of value there in my opinion. It's also odd that it appears to have no barrel code, or does it?

Thanks for the response! The barrel doesn't seem to have any code on it other than the S42/K on the right side. So would this mean that this rifle would have been issued to SS soldiers at some point?

ps. The pitting fortunately is not visible when the stock is on.

Yes, at least the barreled action was possibly issued. Or left in a depot, impossible to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1920 on the receiver is a Weimar era property mark. It has nothing to do with the modifications this rifle later saw.

Military Rifle Journal
Back