Third Party Press

Safe/proper Ammo for g88/05

samuel990

Okay, so I was just at a gunshow, was set that I wouldn’t be buying any rifles today. Then I saw a gewehr 88 for $350. I went home, did function checks and headspaced it. Passed both with flying colors. I am going on Tuesday to shoot my new berthiers, and want to bring this along as well, but am unsure if I can shoot my standard Privi 198gr FMJBT through it. I read that the S mark on the chamber indeed does upgrade the bore to .323, but it was only ment to shoot these with 158 gr bullets? So if not, what should I use?

I will post pics of the rifle tomorrow.

many do run modern spitzer ammo in those but its not recommended. I reload with 170 grn WCF round nose and it works very well. That's old iron and trying to squeeze a 323 bullet down a 318 bore is tough on the action.

You could always slug your barrel with a lead oversized bulley and measure it with calipers to double check your actual bore size. If it measures close to .323 you're propably safe to run modern spitzer rounds. especially modern factory loads, they are all fairly light and several are undersized for exactly this reason. Prvi makes a decent 8mm round. Lower fps, in the low 2,000 range. Yugo Military stuff usually leaves the muzzle at closer to 2,400 if memory serves. German loads were even stiffer. Higher fps directly translates to higher pressure. So may be better to sway on the safe side. But have a smith check your bore diameter to be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back