Third Party Press

SS Double Claw Scope

They usually lined out the German markings on the ZF4/ZFK43 scopes ..... and I have a SSDC front ring with the E/63 stamp obliterated, that came out of Czechoslovakia back in the 1980s.
Good to know. I figured they likely would have.

Some shots showing my SRB A STYS, PRAHA, Lovec 4x, serial# 63529 with the commercial type SSDC.

Dimensions:
Front ring claws outside: 15.5 mm ; claws: 4.0 mm
Rear ring claws outside: 15.5 mm ; claws: 3.8 mm

My Dialytan 4x OM scope rings have almost identical dimensions.

The rings on my dow+ serial A3024:
Front ring claws outside: 17.0 mm ; claws 4.0 mm
Rear ring claws outside: 15.0 mm ; claws 4.0 mm

Attachments

• IMG_5143.JPG
    IMG_5143.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5145.JPG
    IMG_5145.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5144.JPG
    IMG_5144.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5146.jpg
    IMG_5146.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5147.jpg
    IMG_5147.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 64
I think it would be a good idea to make a list of known scopes/rifles. Perhaps we would learn something.

So if you have a scope please post (I'll update this list):
1. Scope serial number and location of serial number (scope body or rear ring)
2. Style of rings (smooth solder or spot weld)
3. Rifle serial number (if there is one).
4. Focus adjuster or not

- A 48, scope body serial numbering, smooth solder, rifle number 1437 matching rifle with focus adjuster

- A 234, scope body serial numbering, smooth solder, rifle number 8243 matching rifle with focus adjuster

- A 408, ?, smooth soldered rings, rifle number 23136C with focus adjustment

- A 448, ?, smooth solder rings, ? with focus adjuster

- A 700, rear ring numbered, ? , rifle number 2986, ?

- A 850, rear ring numbered, smooth solder, rifle number 7855 with focus adjuster

- A XXX, rear ring numbered, smooth solder, rifle number 7832 with focus adjuster

- A ?, ?, smooth solder, with no rifle serial number with focus adjuster.

- A 1960, rear ring numbered, smooth solder, no rifle serial number with no focus adjuster

- A 2466, rear ring numbered, smooth solder, no rifle serial number with no focus adjuster

- A 2760, ?, smooth solder with slight adjustment, rifle number 8398 with no focus adjuster

- A 2783, rear ring numbered, spot weld, rifle number 7366 with no focus adjuster

- A ?, rear ring numbering, spot welded, rifle number 8586 with no focus adjuster

- A 3024 rear ring numbered, smooth solder, rifle number 4912 with no focus adjuster

I have serial A264 rifle number 7524 with focus. Front ring spot weld and rear soldered. WaA on rings and serial on rear bottom of tube. Has number 18 on the catches. Just 23 numbers off my rifle 7547.

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Wanted to bump this thread up since new information has come to light about SS Double Claws. They were not assembled at a SS depot but at Brunn.

Any new scopes to report?

SS Double Claw scope and non matching rifle

I have rear adjust dow (Blue +) A295 - rifle number 9535 soldered rings ...rifle is 'bnz. 4' S/N 8281 with checkered butt plate.

Wanted to bump this thread up since new information has come to light about SS Double Claws. They were not assembled at a SS depot but at Brunn.

Any new scopes to report?

Would be great if You could post detailed pics of Rifle & Scope . You say it has a checkered butt plate , Imho it should not have one . All legit original SSDC , to the best of my recollection all have smooth butt plates or the one with flat type butt plate .

I have rear adjust dow (Blue +) A295 - rifle number 9535 soldered rings ...rifle is 'bnz. 4' S/N 8281 with checkered butt plate.

Thanks for sharing your info. Yes, please post photos so we can add it to the list. As Dave mentioned, very unlikely that it should have a checkered butt plate. These were all assembled around the same time at Brunn. But please, we would love to see it.

Maybe he intended to say "cupped butt plate". I would love to see pictures of it as well. Somehow the serial 8281 sounds familiar to me, but can't recall where from.

Brian added much. Thanks to Matt, too, and others. I have a DC system that Dave knows and said a good buy, just a commercial with a beautiful Zeiss scope, rings and bases, no rifle. I may get Vaughn 99 to make me a replica, missed one in my home town to Brian, enjoy and glad you got it. I am sticking with my theory and reading that there was no interchangeability, they were custom/fitted when made. They had specs but those putting them together lived their own lives, and likely wanted to mess up the Nazis. That was a big mistake IMO. My bases were matched somehow, do not recall how but they were not smooth like real DCs. Hope this helps but probability not. Happy New Years to all.

Military Rifle Journal
Back