Third Party Press

Help Iding Bayonet

reich1900

This bayonet came with a K98 660 that I bought around 1969. I have no idea about this bayonet. It has no markings at all on anything including the frog. I an not a bayonet and have only a couple to go with my collection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5397.jpg
    IMG_5397.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 57
The bayonet shows extensive use and from the photos, it is hard to discern much more about it. However, it appears never to have had a flash guard. It might be a Spanish M43 pattern bayonet or a German (1930s) behoerden made for retail sales or export. The frog is perhaps the best piece and can be referred to as the M42 (short) pattern. Reproductions have been made, but from when you acquired the rig they had not. Other features tend to indicate it is a original frog. It is not unusual for these to be totally unmarked as well.

Sometimes could be find a letter on lower ricasso, area where the edge ends near crossguard, as PWCo correctly mentioned possible export or Behoerden piece, when no proofs or maker stamp and codes. Detailed pictures probably would helpfull.b.r.Andy

Thank you very much pwcosol and AndyB for the information. After reading your posts I did some checking and I think that your correct, the bayonet is a Spanish M43 and frog an M42 (late war?). Andy I didn't find any marking. At least now I know what I have.

I dont believe this is a spanish production M43, looks like german export M36, scabbard is certainly german prewar, frog as mentioned PWCo, is M42 late war of german piece. The difference between spanish and german is that german is one solid forging, the spanish have riveted blade to handle under grips.b.r.Andy
As the edges on blade near fuller are blurred, i assume it was already refurbished in his life in Spain, possible the pommel was polished.

Last edited:
I dont believe this is a spanish production M43, looks like german export M36, scabbard is certainly german prewar, frog as mentioned PWCo, is M42 late war of german piece. The difference between spanish and german is that german is one solid forging, the spanish have riveted blade to handle under grips.b.r.Andy
As the edges on blade near fuller are blurred, i assume it was already refurbished in his life in Spain, possible the pommel was polished.

Ok, I am happy to go with the German export M36, it has a solid forging. It also has a number 3576 which I never noticed before and a OR letters on the other side. The OR are hard to read but an O for sure. I haven't taken off the wood grips in may years. As for the frog mentioned PWCo, what does this mean? I can't find it in any of my books. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_5398 copy.jpg
    IMG_5398 copy.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5399 copy.jpg
    IMG_5399 copy.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 21
Unfortunally rusted that tang area, sometimes could be found a small WaA253 restriked or damaged there on right panel, but it should be cleaned, other stamps are normally forgings specification, serial number 3570 could be for locking nut or grips assembly, i assume the lock nut was replaced here as not flashed with pommel.
The designation M36 is only a collector name, there are various variants with slashed pommel, barell rings, with or wout flashguard etc but the configuration is very near S84/98. b.r.Andy

Unfortunally rusted that tang area, sometimes could be found a small WaA253 restriked or damaged there on right panel, but it should be cleaned, other stamps are normally forgings specification, serial number 3570 could be for locking nut or grips assembly, i assume the lock nut was replaced here as not flashed with pommel.
The designation M36 is only a collector name, there are various variants with slashed pommel, barell rings, with or wout flashguard etc but the configuration is very near S84/98. b.r.Andy

Andy after cleaning it with a brass brush I could not find a WaA but on the other side of the number 3576 there was a stamping MO. At first all I saw was the letter O. Do you have any more information on the frog?

MO is mostly technological stamp on forgings, so Your piece was probably made in Solingen area and in prewar period. As there is no sign of flashguard it was made for export. 90% possibility to Spain. Unfortunally there are no infos about similar official contract to Spain, mostly because in that period there was a Civil war.
About frog i am not expert on that area, Slash and PWCo are, but from the non detailed dark pictures it looks ok, maybe You should take better photos, outside, wout flash. b.r.Andy

Here you go. I just took these pictures outside. On the frog back, upper left, there could be some kind of marking but I couldn't make it out.

Attachments

• Bayonet2 001 copy.jpg
    Bayonet2 001 copy.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 12
  • Bayonet2 003 copy.jpg
    Bayonet2 003 copy.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Bayonet2 005 copy.jpg
    Bayonet2 005 copy.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Bayonet2 004 copy.jpg
    Bayonet2 004 copy.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Bayonet2 002 copy.jpg
    Bayonet2 002 copy.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 9
Better pictures certainly, but unfortunally i am not expert on frogs, wait for Slash opinion. b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back