Third Party Press

Waffenfabrik Mauser AG Oberndorf 1918

Fish

Could use some help here. A friend is really into firearms. (He uses them.) I am thinking of giving him this rifle.Don't want it to be a piece of junk nor really valuable, as in one case he will think I am an idiot and the other, he will think I am an idiot.
Really looking for the history. And guidance as whether too cheap or too expensive. (He cut down and hauled off a tree for me.)

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 44
Not a piece of junk. Produced by Mauser in 1918 and provided to Turkey (their ally) as war aid. Probably imported to the US in the late 1990's or early 2000's.

All the parts I can see appear to be matching numbers, including the stock going by the buttplate, which is pretty unusual. Please show the bolt serial number.

I agree with previous post on value, unless the bolt is also matching, then value goes up.

Not too shabby...even has a muzzle cover Ive seen way worse asking 800-1k plus not to say that's what its worth

The bolt should not be matching as most of those 18 rifles went to Turkey post WWI . Rifles as "metal" is one shipment and the bolts as " parts" in another . They are good examples of WWI rifles as most were made in 18 and stored with only the Turk moon stamp added . The rifle - bolt , should be all matching .

Not a piece of junk. Produced by Mauser in 1918 and provided to Turkey (their ally) as war aid. Probably imported to the US in the late 1990's or early 2000's.

All the parts I can see appear to be matching numbers, including the stock going by the buttplate, which is pretty unusual. Please show the bolt serial number.

I agree with previous post on value, unless the bolt is also matching, then value goes up.

thanks for the information. Only thing I could find on the bolt is in the above photo

Some assumptions have to be made, good bore (shooter) and no distractions left un-shown (like the assumption the stock matches), but $500 is probably a good value for such a rifle. Typically Turk used G98's are ridden a bit hard, which tends to drag on their value, but this one looks pretty matching and decent. The muzzle cover is $100 part alone (if good), the bolt looks and sounds like an ordnance spare which depending upon some variables is $100-200 alone.

One of the attractions of these Turk imports are the parts value, often ordnance spare parts were found on them, cleaning rods were worth buying them for also, - 20 years ago these were selling for under $100 and many would part them out, myself included, for the rods as much as anything else, - rods have always been worth $40 and ordnance spare parts were pretty scarce before these came ashore, but now these parts are less difficult to find.

Thanks for the info.
I am comfortable that the gun has sufficient value to be worth something, but not overly generous. If he asks the value I can honestly dodge a direct answer by saying do not take less than $500.00 if you sell it. Is there any way to find information about this particular weapon or is that just a fool's errand?

If you are asking about this specific rifle, then no, if your interested in the Turkish contract there is some information available on the forums. Gunboards-Mauser probably has a lot of threads, though many were probably purged during one of their brain farts... My websites have a brief blog/short article on them some years ago, maybe 6-8 years ago, it gives the basic outline and backdrop to the subject.

https://militaryriflejournal.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/german-contract-rifles-for-turkey/

If you are asking about this specific rifle, then no, if your interested in the Turkish contract there is some information available on the forums. Gunboards-Mauser probably has a lot of threads, though many were probably purged during one of their brain farts... My websites have a brief blog/short article on them some years ago, maybe 6-8 years ago, it gives the basic outline and backdrop to the subject.

https://militaryriflejournal.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/german-contract-rifles-for-turkey/

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Jamie

Military Rifle Journal
Back