Third Party Press

Matching mounts, stamped & etched scope numbers.

Brian Kowalski

Grandpa Apfeltor
Staff member
Been trying to figure out about when they stopped stamping mounts with the scope SN. the earliest verified all matching G43 sniper rig I have seen was for the ac44 "d" block....stamped numbers. The next all matching one I have seen was from the ac44 "h" block (I think), with etched SN's of the scope SN on the mount etc.

Obviously, they stopped stamping the numbers completely, then etched both, then went to only putting the rifle numbers on the mounts. This is probably due to the regular problems with the ZF4s and I suspect they replaced them a fair amount.

Any opinions here?

I have listed in my files a matching ac44 "e" block sniper rig with stamped mount #'s (both rifle and scope), so that may narrow the gap a bit. It was supposedly purchased from a veteran, but I can't verify that info - could just be a lucky match. Something to chew on anyway.

G43 Scope Mounts Numbering

Ah, one of my favorite G/K43 subjects...

Ok, I've got a couple of older type blued with the rifle and the scope number stamped, only one has the matching scope however. Both scope mounts are looking for a rifle :biggrin1:

I do have a matching AC44 #1752 "l" block sniper that has an early square end type but engraved with the later italic script and phosphate finished. So maybe that will add some more info into the statistical mix.

Also have a couple of original mounts that are do not comply with the generally accepted collector guidelines. Both are early 359 blued square end types and one has the scope serial on the left, rifle number on the right but the 359 waffenampt is where you would expect to see it on a BLM marked 214.
The other has the 359 waffenampt in the normal location, however the stamped rifle number is done in a smaller sized than seen on other stamped earlier scopes making me suspicious that this might have been done in the field rather than on the factory shop floor.

Pics attached and opinions welcomed.

Attachments

• Early 359 - 1.jpg
    Early 359 - 1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Early 359 - 1a.jpg
    Early 359 - 1a.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Early 359 - 2.jpg
    Early 359 - 2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Early 359 - 3.jpg
    Early 359 - 3.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the data and pics.

FYI, the "d" block matching sniper had the "359" proof on the rt aside also. the others observed were in the typical place.

There must have been a time period where the directions to place the proof (if there was any such thing) had not been decided yet. I have also seen several "214" mounts proofed on the left.

Also, note that the verticle tops of these early type locking levers are rather square, as compared to the more typical rounded tops were are most familiar with.

I was looking through Weaver’s book last night, and there is an ac44 “g” block from the Viens collection with stamped #’s on the matching mount (pg. 259). No provenance listed, so again we don’t know if it is just a lucky match. If it is a factory sniper, then it looks like the transition is somewhere between the “g” and “h” blocks. Other examples need to surface to make a solid claim though.

I think the variations of the proof placement are interesting. Has anyone else ever seen an oddly proofed mount matched to the rifle? I have only seen a few on the loose, and they were always on blued square mounts, both Walther and BLM. It does seem as if they were originally on the earliest of G43 snipers.

Last edited:
Gergnotwen,

Have you ever seen a 359 coded mount with the rifle serial etched on the left side (rear) of the mount, or were these serials always toward the front?

Thanks!

Matching rifle and mount

I just noticed this old post. The G.43 ac44 "g" block rifle I have is an original factory sniper Mount is blued with early lever. The rifle serial number is on the left, scope serial number on the right. Paul

Military Rifle Journal
Back