Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New K98B/ S28 Rifle

Default New K98B/ S28 Rifle

Just picked up this K98B S28 rifle off the bargan rack of the local big box hunting store. Ww2 vet captured it and displayed it on wall the rest of his life and his son brought it in after father passed and did not want it. Seems to be mostly numbers matching. Missing cleaning rod and rear barrel band spring is broke. Other than the duffle cut it is in great shape. Bore is perfect. Im fairly new to mausers, has this been rearsenaled at all? Does anyone know what the unit markings mean?

Last edited by Jplatt; 01-04-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Wow! You've picked up something pretty special here. Thank you for taking the time.

Other than the unfortunately sanded stock, you've picked up perhaps one of only 3-4 matching s28s (first I've seen with original, non depot bolt). Loewe will hopefully chime in soon with more specifics, but seriously hold on to this one. It's truly rare (maybe 2 dozen known s28s in any condition?), condition issues aside. I doubt you'll find another. I have two s28s (one matching, one partial m/m) and it'd be a cold day in hell before I sold either.

As noted before here, matching Republican era rifles are perhaps some of the toughest mausers to find and, compared to most k98k, really cross into the realm of "rare". The downside is that they fly under the radar, so generally don't have the value associated that really represents their rarity.

The unit marking is interesting. If you follow imperial convention, it's a Jaeger unit, but I've not seen this on many Republican era rifles, though yours is certainly not the first I've seen marked in such a way.

As you may also know, the "1920" stamp is not the year of manufacture, but a fake property mark to fool allied inspectors into thinking it was an imperial rifle in government hands during the buybacks. The use of the crown/O markings is another use of subterfuge to make the rifle appear imperial made.

If you happen to have it apart again, I know pictures of the barrel codes are always appreciated too.

Congrats, happy new year and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisftk; 01-04-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Wow, Iíll just echo what chrisftk said, nearly impossible to find complete like this. Itís actually so rare Iím wondering how you actually classified it correctly, most donít. Your Google fu must be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.
    不要支持中国人用假投票推着我们的假总统。

very very nice and scarce rifle
    congrats

ber

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Wow, Iíll just echo what chrisftk said, nearly impossible to find complete like this. Itís actually so rare Iím wondering how you actually classified it correctly, most donít. Your Google fu must be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Either a Google ninja or better yet, a Volume 1 purchase

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Wow. I read about these in the book recently. Wonder if I would have been smart enough to purchase it or kicking myself not registering what it was.

You done good !