Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New K98B/ S28 Rifle

A very rare rifle it'a a damn shame about that stock being sanded but you have a all matching extremely scarce rifle in your collection now. It's a hell of a placeholder. You know this is about the third or fourth rare rifle I've seen come out of the state of Indiana. I found a couple rare birds in the state myself glad to see another fellow Hoosier found another scarce piece.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

I agree, this is a rare discovery, - slightly diminished by the probable sanded stock, but never the less an incredible discovery!

Late production, this is the last block, but they are known to the 4500/b block for sure, plus reported reliably to the 6000/b block. Very rare to find the original stock, unit marked and in good condition. One has to wonder what this looked like before it was sanded, probably as fine as the metal... While valuable, had the stock been untouched it would have been worth an incredible sum.

Better pictures would be helpful, the barrel code obviously, typically when original they are Imperial-Berlin style, in front of the rearsight, but very few have been recorded in such detail. The right receiver acceptance, the right side of the stock, typically Imperial cypher (Prussian) over C/O, but depending on history can be a little more busy. Of course and potential ordnance work would be good to see, but I expect little in this case.

Perhaps 4-5 are roughly this original, perhaps a few more, but this is a rare rifle. I have recorded at least 32 rifles (few anywhere this nice!) plus a few more reports, plus about a dozen hybrids, Oberspree/19's and some WOK/Oberspree's that have early S28 features and are serialed in the S28 sequence.

Try to do more pictures if you can!

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Unit marking

By the Gortz and Bryans book, that unit mark designates an infantry regiment and not a Jager detachment.
    The designations were modified in the Weimar era.
    ---- Turbo Myö ----

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    By the Gortz and Bryans book, that unit mark designates an infantry regiment and not a Jager detachment.
    The designations were modified in the Weimar era.
    Thanks Bruce, that I did not know.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments! I recognized it as a K98B pattern and knew they were hard to find and for the price it was a steal. But did not find out about S28 till it was home. I was worried about the stock being sanded too. I can't tell if this was done before or after capture in ww2. I will post barrel code when I get home tonight.

Here is the barrel code looks like 347. Hard to see. 3 crown over O marks. In front of rear sight base like imperial rifles. Let me know if there is anything else your wanting to see on it. Photos are from phone so not the best.
    20200103_233352.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    I agree, this is a rare discovery, - slightly diminished by the probable sanded stock, but never the less an incredible discovery!

Late production, this is the last block, but they are known to the 4500/b block for sure, plus reported reliably to the 6000/b block. Very rare to find the original stock, unit marked and in good condition. One has to wonder what this looked like before it was sanded, probably as fine as the metal... While valuable, had the stock been untouched it would have been worth an incredible sum.

Better pictures would be helpful, the barrel code obviously, typically when original they are Imperial-Berlin style, in front of the rearsight, but very few have been recorded in such detail. The right receiver acceptance, the right side of the stock, typically Imperial cypher (Prussian) over C/O, but depending on history can be a little more busy. Of course and potential ordnance work would be good to see, but I expect little in this case.

Perhaps 4-5 are roughly this original, perhaps a few more, but this is a rare rifle. I have recorded at least 32 rifles (few anywhere this nice!) plus a few more reports, plus about a dozen hybrids, Oberspree/19's and some WOK/Oberspree's that have early S28 features and are serialed in the S28 sequence.

Try to do more pictures if you can!
    Here are a few more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Original barrel too, nice! I changed some of the settings on the barrel picture so they can get a better look at it, hope you don’t mind. Circled in red, is another place that would be good to see in more detail, I can’t remember off the top of my head if these vary or not, but it is unique to the S28 builds. Congrats on your find, that’s what it takes to score stuff like this, hitting the road and looking hard, oh and getting lucky doesn’t hurt either! As is, it’s an incredible find, and if it weren’t sanded it would likely be the find of the year already.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is probably BŲhler, the lot fits and rifles nearby are (4069/b & 4349/b are BŲ 350)

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Original barrel too, nice! I changed some of the settings on the barrel picture so they can get a better look at it, hope you donít mind. Circled in red, is another place that would be good to see in more detail, I canít remember off the top of my head if these vary or not, but it is unique to the S28 builds. Congrats on your find, thatís what it takes to score stuff like this, hitting the road and looking hard, oh and getting lucky doesnít hurt either! As is, itís an incredible find, and if it werenít sanded it would likely be the find of the year already.
    Here is the rear sight picture. Looks like another crown over O. Also another s28 stamp on cocking sleeve I missed.
    20200106_034928.jpg20200106_034959.jpg