Third Party Press

Belgian Mauser 89/36 local store

Rutche

There happens to be a Belgian Mauser 89/36 at a gun store near me, and i was wondering about the history of them. They look like beautiful rifles, and i heard that the Germans captured many of these. Is there also anyway of knowing if it was German used?

There happens to be a Belgian Mauser 89/36 at a gun store near me, and i was wondering about the history of them. They look like beautiful rifles, and i heard that the Germans captured many of these. Is there also anyway of knowing if it was German used?

If it was in Belgium in 1940, very likely taken by the Germans. If in the Belgian Congo in 1940, not likely German used. The bayonet lug modification was often not done to German used rifles, but is a good indicator if present. There was some of these rifles in the recent haul from Ethiopia, which may likely have been in the Congo in 1940.

Great info, i have a sneaking suspicion that this one isn’t from the congo just a gut feeling. Im going to the store again as soon as i can and i will see. I remember it having a bayonet on it and i remember think that it looked like a German style bayonet ive always found Vet bringback rifles there i hope this might be one

I heard a U on the stock also might indicate luftwaffe use?

As I recall, the "U" might indicate a rifle for training use. I think these rifles being in 7.65mm mostly got issued to police, militia type units, guards etc. Units that probably didn't have too much of an ammunition demand/ resupply issue.

Well looks like im going to need to take a drive back down to the store and make my wallet lighter

I bought it you wont believe that it is marked LK3

Even came with a 1937 Carl Eickhorn Bayonet

Last edited:
38713EA7-9BEE-444C-9CD1-8E32F2BC3D32.jpeg85AF8F22-265E-484A-B47D-BC9CFA7B994F.jpegE4A27597-9132-4728-9A8D-18FF1DCE6926.jpeg0C58BC42-97D0-4637-B8D0-156E54C4288B.jpegE5EBBF75-B046-46D2-88AB-87DFC2725571.jpeg

This rifle is confusing me a little bit. I almost think that it was captured while they were still working on it. The serial number on the stock is not present but neither is the new number on the bolt, and the old number hasn't been lined out. Yet the stock has the new piece of wood where the serial should be. The stock shows no signs of sanding, as an LK3 marking is present, and the metal fits the way it should, ie no overhang on the butt, or other metal parts.

LK3 hell yes that is the stock marking commonly found on Beutewaffen weapons. It's not 100% certain what this marking means but the current theory is it belongs to the Luftgau Kommando.

If I were you I would buy that rifle if the price is fair

The Mauser 1889 / 36 that I owned at one time was serial number on the outside of the stock as well as inside the stock channel.

i bought it for 500 it came with an original 1943 Hickok Garand sling and a Carl Eickhorn 1937 k98 Bayonet, those alone almost pay off the rifle

Very cool, and a screaming deal. The number on the bolt appears to be the original number. On my German-modified 89/36, the original number is cancelled out with 0's and the matching number stamped on the top of the bolt arm, not the front. I don't know why there wouldn't be a number on the stock insert, but that's where they're found on this model.

LK3 is found with far less frequency than LK5. I've only seen one LK3 rifle in the wild, on a K98k.

Congratulations,
Pat

Thanks Pat! I'm really liking the rifle I'm not surprised that the Germans Liked these aswell!

Look real close at the LK3 - I think it’s a 5. The numbers are very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was a 5 at first but it is for sure a 3. Ill attach a better pic
C123329C-210A-4BC3-966A-F35F1EE9329A.jpg

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back