Third Party Press

9mm StG hammer - machine shop?

actiondan

BLUF - need a custom hammer made. Anyone know anyone or any shop that can do that?

About a year ago I purchased a StG from someone on this forum. He was selling off some weapons for a gentleman that was dealing with health issues.
The guy had designed a semi only StG 44, in 9mm. Turned his own barrel, made a custom blowback bolt for it, etc.

Anyway, recently, the hammer cracked. No problem, I'll get a new one. Well, turns out an original stg hammer is just a bit shorter than the hammer that was used in this conversion.

So, cycling the bolt moves the hammer back, but not far enough for the sear to catch.

Now to the point - does anyone know of anyone or any shop that can make one off hammers? I still have the conversion hammer to use as a template.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well..fixed the hammer by welding it back together. However, I'm still open to ideas as who knows if that weld will actually hold long term.

I'd bet the price of a one off machined hammer would not be cost effective from any machine shop. I'm familiar with the industry. You may want to find a local shop with a cmc and 3d printing capability in metals. Not a cheap option, but probably cheaper than a shop making it from scratch. My .02. Overall this will not be a cheap endeavor

Another option is find some old guy that's got a Bridgeport in his garage that's looking for a challenge. You could put out an add in the green sheet

not sure if the hammer is a modified original or a newly made part. .. you need to compare the two. RTG has spare hammers ( factory hardened)

if not would take a piece of steel and hand file and drill to match it

I made a new safety for my mp-44 the other day using a broken one, using drill rod ,a HK G-3 safety flat spring and RTG MP-44 lever, till a I can locate a whole unit.
all by hand and with my lathe AKA my power drill in the vise not finished I need to heat treat and trim , then waiting on the 7mm e- clips

Attachments

• MP-44 homemade saftey.jpg
    MP-44 homemade saftey.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 24
It is not a modified original. I bought a spare from RTG to compare. It is, however, the same hammer. The difference is the 9mm hammer is approximately half an inch longer.

What method are you using to harden?

It is not a modified original. I bought a spare from RTG to compare. It is, however, the same hammer. The difference is the 9mm hammer is approximately half an inch longer.

What method are you using to harden?

I need a comparison photo to go further, I do not understand longer?? you mean taller???. heat to cherry red then quelch (dip) in oil or salt water, I prefer saltwater, then re-heat till it turns bright blue and quelch again,

I am in the middle of rebuilding a dug lower, I also had to make a selector spring and plunger, and a new post to support the bolt trip,

Please excuse the dirty hands.

The lower on this StG44 is an original German piece. So, as I said, previously, the German made hammer fits and functions (by hand), just fine. The blow back bolt, however, does not cause it to move far enough back to catch the trigger reset.

For reference - several pictures comparing the custom made hammer with a German one. Also is some of the welding and grinding that needed to be done to get the previously cracked hammer to function.

Hammer1.jpg
Hammer2.jpg
Hammer3.jpg
Hammer4.jpg
Hammer5.jpg
Hammer6.jpg
Hammer7.jpg

yes again I would do this by hand, using the modified hammer as a guide - flat steel and drill press and file, heat treat

that hammer is hand made and not heat treated or no heat treated properly,

measure the width and height, you might find the steel at Home depot, if not order from online metals or similar company on-line or a local junk yard

Good deal. Thanks for the info.

When you are heat treating, is there a specific temp to keep the piece at or do you quench and let cool completely?

Good deal. Thanks for the info.

When you are heat treating, is there a specific temp to keep the piece at or do you quench and let cool completely?

old time home builders would go by color "Cherry RED" then quelch, cool, then re-heat to "Blue" quelch again, don't stand over the container with old oil or salt water- splatter. use a mapp torch experiment on scrap.

this is common procedure found on the internet and I am sure a few Youtube video's by now

You could always weld new metal to the end of the replacement hammer to build it up to length. Clean the finish off where you weld and use a vise
as a heat sink. Weld a small amount and cool. If you keep the temperature down the heat treat on the operating surfaces should be okay.

BLUF - need a custom hammer made. Anyone know anyone or any shop that can do that?

About a year ago I purchased a StG from someone on this forum. He was selling off some weapons for a gentleman that was dealing with health issues.
The guy had designed a semi only StG 44, in 9mm. Turned his own barrel, made a custom blowback bolt for it, etc.

Anyway, recently, the hammer cracked. No problem, I'll get a new one. Well, turns out an original stg hammer is just a bit shorter than the hammer that was used in this conversion.

So, cycling the bolt moves the hammer back, but not far enough for the sear to catch.

Now to the point - does anyone know of anyone or any shop that can make one off hammers? I still have the conversion hammer to use as a template.

I know this is a really old thread, but I was wondering how do you like the 9mm StG custom build? I saw the sales post on the forum trader for this rifle and wonder how well it shoots? Quite an interesting and bespoke build!

Military Rifle Journal
Back