Third Party Press

Zielspiegel (Target mirror) questions

R Shaw

Hi All,
This is the first time I have posted since my initial post on the introduction thread....
I have aqcuired a very nice all matching K98k for which Dutch paper work has to be completed, therefore no photos at present, but in the meantime I have a very nice target mirror whose function I am trying to understand.

As per the photos below, The first one (green background) is from the thread: 1942 Gewehr Granat Gerät 42 and K98k Zielspiegel, posted in March 2010 by Badger, to illustrate the placement of this morror, allowing the instructor to "observe the shooter's operations." (see photo Bundesarchive Koblenz No. 227 / 266 / 20). This photo shows a mirror with a coil spring attachment, whereas the photos from the book "the K98k Rifle, Propaganda Series" show a mirror with a clamp attachment. I understand that both the coil and clamp attachment systems were used.

My question is the nature of the function of this mirror. I mounted my mirror (see photos of the mirror with clamp) just behind the rear site of the gun I have just purchased, and, having another person sight the rifle, all I could see was the mirror image of the shooter's eye, but little else. So what is the instructor really looking for when looking at the mirror image of the shooter from the side? The sight pcture of the shooter is not visible.

I also do not understand the function of the smoked glass mounted at a 45 deg angle in the central frame.

Any ideas from you experts out there would be greatly appreciated. I have to wait a few weeks for my acquisition to be properly documented..... a nice gun!! Very solid action; wood parts well looked after.... Thanks for your comments!

Attachments

• K98k Zielspiegel mounted behind rear sight.JPG
    K98k Zielspiegel mounted behind rear sight.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 43
  • K98k Rifle Propaganda series cover.jpg
    K98k Rifle Propaganda series cover.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Zielspiegel instructor observing shooter.jpg
    Zielspiegel instructor observing shooter.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Zielspiegel instructor observing shooter closeup.jpg
    Zielspiegel instructor observing shooter closeup.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 38
  • K98k Zielspiegel standing photo.jpg
    K98k Zielspiegel standing photo.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 29
  • K98k Zielspiegel side photo.jpg
    K98k Zielspiegel side photo.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forum it's always nice to see new members. I just bought one of these sight, same as one as in the picture with the green back round. I think that you placed yours wrong way around. I can see how that can happen with the 45 degree reflecting in the opposite direction. The shooter is looking through the glass and the instructor seeing the reflection of the rear, front sight and target. I'm not sure about the top mirror but think it's to see the target. If you have an original which I do just remember how old these are and the coating on the glass is most likely very worn. I haven't tried mine outside but will soon.

Thank you Reich,
Sorry for my late reply!
Looking at the closeup (4th photo from left), the instructor must be looking at the angled mirror on the opposite side of the rifle, while the shooter is looking through the tinted glass. In this position, the mirror would reflect the shooter's face or eye back to the instructor. The internal glass, through which the shooter sees the front sight, is tinted an even green- this would reflect the target and sights back to the instructor, as per the explanation in the thread below:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?20591-K98k-Zielkontroll-Apparat-(Aiming-Device)

Please let me know what you think when you try yours outside?

Pretty clever!
Thanks!

Cheers,
R Shaw

Last edited:
Shaw, here are a couple of pictures I took this morning. Since these devises are really old the glass coating isn't that good but and my photos are that good, but you can get the idea. The box slides on the spring mount so you can turn it around. It seems that the instructor has the be opposite the bolt handle so not to get hit with the spent cartridge. The top mirror can be adjusted so the instructor can see the target without turning his head. Hope this helps.
Bernie

Attachments

• IMG_0156 copy.jpg
    IMG_0156 copy.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0157 copy.jpg
    IMG_0157 copy.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 15

Military Rifle Journal
Back