Third Party Press

dual code winter trigger

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Local show pickup and wanted to get peer review on this.

All phosphate with the exception of the blued retaining springs.

Attachments

• DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 128
I can’t really comment on its authenticity but it’s a neat one. One k98k accessory I haven’t owned yet

I have seen the ofh and mod98 before , but this is the 1st one I have ever seen were the backing plate has marking on it .
Very interesting indeed .

I'm no expert, But I like the construction I see on this one, based on other examples on this site.
I don't have my book on me but what firm used the btd code during the war? A. btd Richard Sieper & Sohne/Winterabzuge fur k98,Zunder-Ludenscheid (NW)

Last edited:
WT

I like the OFH part. I have a couple of those and it looks the same as those. I have never seen a back plate like this one, but I would not want to say either way on that part.

RC

I'm not worried about its authenticity, looks legit to me (mine is an eeu 4).
The '43 date is interesting and early. Officially these were issued from Oct 10th 1944 onward.
They were developed during the winter of '41 - '42, but I've never seen a '42 dated example.
So my guess is that "serious" production must have began in 1943.
According to Richard Law's book there were 6 known manufacturers (maybe more since some are unmarked),
but the numbers must have been very low, and the number of ones issued even lower since you just don't see them....
To me your trigger is more of a curiosity. I don't know of many that survived in good shape coming from the battlefield.
So where would there be a bunch of these laying around to accidentally mismatch the parts?!

- "ofh" (Metall und Metallwarenfabrik from Schmalkalden) marked trigger,
- "btd" Rich. Sieper und Sohn marked cover.

I think it's a "Russian Capture", therefore worthless and you should sell it to me for cheap!!!:laugh:

Last edited:
Bruce:

Photos of my byf 45 Zf41 with "ofh/btd 43" winter trigger. It has been on the rifle since the 1980s. Rifle is pretty nice, but is factory mismatch. The rifle is #989 and so is the (Gustloff) bolt body. However, the entire bolt shroud/striker a$$'y. is "869" (easy to see, at the time it was built, such an assembly error was not uncommon). Would bet good money if byf 45 #869 still exists in as-issued condition, it is sporting my rifle's bolt rear end #989...

Attachments

• WinAbz ofh 1.JPG
    WinAbz ofh 1.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 41
  • WinAbz ofh 2.JPG
    WinAbz ofh 2.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 38
  • WinAbz btd 43 a.JPG
    WinAbz btd 43 a.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 37
  • WinAbz btd 43 b.JPG
    WinAbz btd 43 b.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 44
  • K98k byf45 Zf41.JPG
    K98k byf45 Zf41.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Winter trigger

Fred, that's a really nice walnut stocked Obenrdorf, and ZF41 equipped to boot.
Now we know for sure that the WT variation is good, IMO.

Thanks for the post!

I agree, I’d even call it a variation. The phosphate finish on the btd43 cover negates it being 43 production anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is marked "S", which I suppose is Dynamit AG. I bought it years ago from Globe Militaria when they used to advertise in SGN. I often wonder what became of their inventory, the amount of stuff they had was rather amazing...

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 17
I don’t think “S” is Dynamit AG in this case, more likely the first letter in the company name. Guess it’s time put some time in to figure it out? Where’s my list....

Fred, that's a really nice walnut stocked Oberndorf, and ZF41 equipped to boot.
Now we know for sure that the WT variation is good, IMO. Thanks for the post!

Rifle stock is actually laminated beech/kriegsmodell. Also, should have clarified the entire striker/firing pin/safety/shroud assembly that got screwed into the bolt body is from #869. Got the rifle from a mutual friend in Ohio (sans optic) for $950. at the time. Few other notes: Underside of bolt and rear sight are E/1 accepted. Trigger a$$'y. is "ch" E/140 accepted. O/A condition 99% dual-tone blue/phosphate. BTW, is there a consensus on which way the cover plate should be installed (recessed or raised plate outwards)?

Last edited:
I don’t think “S” is Dynamit AG in this case, more likely the first letter in the company name. Guess it’s time put some time in to figure it out? Where’s my list....

Not long ago there was an extensive thread on this very subject, but don't think it was on this sub-forum...

Last edited:
Rifle stock is actually laminated beech/kriegsmodell. Also, should have clarified the entire striker/firing pin/safety/shroud assembly that got screwed into the bolt body is from #869. Got the rifle from a mutual friend in Ohio (sans optic) for $950. at the time. Few other notes: Underside of bolt and rear sight are E/1 accepted. Trigger a$$'y. is "ch" E/140 accepted. O/A condition 99% dual-tone blue/phosphate. BTW, what is the consensus on which way the cover plate should be installed (recessed or raised plate outwards)?

I have a similar n block late Mauser with the same situation, matching bolt body with entire back half mismatched but very close in serial. I suspect the same as you that my parts were assembled to a different rifle.

The winter trigger post: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?256-Winter-Trigger-and-Manual-Addendum-Insert

Recall seeing some photos of a worker at Oberndorf (maybe in Geschichte der Mauserwerk) sitting at a work bench with a pile of bolt parts he was either inspecting or assembling. One can only imagine after a 10-12 hour day...each day, each week, each month...he must have been seeing spots!

Military Rifle Journal
Back