Third Party Press

local finds MP44 and more

That is what I said - from other dealers in the UK. Not sure what you think I put wrong, please point it out to me.

I keep seeing that it’s possible to own such weapons in Europe, then in my research I keep seeing that you cannot own such weapons without tightly controlled licensing.

Thus, in Europe, one cannot own such weapons.

To me the question is accessibility to those permits and licenses of average collector. How good connections or finances you need to have to be granted those permits. What other conditions you have to meet, like storage regulations, registration, limitation, ect. I know it is relatively collector friendly in Switzerland and Finnland, but how it is in other countries. Of course you can circumnavigate the laws if you have ton of money and powerful friends, but if an average collector wants to have an MP44 will he be granted permission fairly easy or he will face so many obstacles that in practice it will be impossible for him to legally own one.

To me the question is accessibility to those permits and licenses of average collector. How good connections or finances you need to have to be granted those permits. What other conditions you have to meet, like storage regulations, registration, limitation, ect. I know it is relatively collector friendly in Switzerland and Finnland, but how it is in other countries. Of course you can circumnavigate the laws if you have ton of money and powerful friends, but if an average collector wants to have an MP44 will he be granted permission fairly easy or he will face so many obstacles that in practice it will be impossible for him to legally own one.

Absolut is correct.

As per the above comment, one could say that Full Auto regulations in the USA are just as 'prohibitive' as any other country in the world. The paperwork side of the house may be easier than some countries but the price generally is not. Full papered WWII Full Auto's are not cheap in the USA and can go for 30K easily (an FG42 would likely go double to triple). Most collectors do not have 30k sitting around to purchase a firearm.

So, what is the difference between having 30K to open a business in order own Full Auto's in countries where they cost significantly less (example MP44 in Canada for example ~3-5K CDN which is within the means of a serious collectors budget) versus needing to pay 30k for that same firearm in the US?

In the UK where I lived for a few years the 'restriction' was more about the paper work and storage. If a government makes things difficult and arduous enough, most casual collectors will simply give up. However, it was easier for me to own a shotgun in England back in 2003 as a foreigner than it was to own a shotgun back home.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

I keep seeing that it’s possible to own such weapons in Europe, then in my research I keep seeing that you cannot own such weapons without tightly controlled licensing.

Thus, in Europe, one cannot own such weapons.

Too bad. How do I tell all the European collectors that according to user mostpeople from the k98kforum they cannot own their FA guns?

PS: I'm sure most of their governments would love to take over what you suggested. But the same applies to the US.

Seriously though, it isn't black and white. As I had mentioned before, every European Country has its own laws. There are ones that have less possibilities than the US, others that have easier access than the US. What all share is the usual large amount of paperwork involved. Compared to the US the price is usually lower, but I think this is more of an US speciality due to a larger demand than number of available Class-III registered items (quite easily visible by the fact what non pre 86 registered FA guns sell for in the US - the same prices as they would change ownership in Europe or other countries).

Too bad. How do I tell all the European collectors that according to user mostpeople from the k98kforum they cannot own their FA guns?

PS: I'm sure most of their governments would love to take over what you suggested. But the same applies to the US.

Seriously though, it isn't black and white. As I had mentioned before, every European Country has its own laws. There are ones that have less possibilities than the US, others that have easier access than the US. What all share is the usual large amount of paperwork involved. Compared to the US the price is usually lower, but I think this is more of an US speciality due to a larger demand than number of available Class-III registered items (quite easily visible by the fact what non pre 86 registered FA guns sell for in the US - the same prices as they would change ownership in Europe or other countries).

I dunno? How do you tell them?

Or when their government revoked their special license, will you have to tell them?

Military Rifle Journal
Back