Third Party Press

K98k Shooting/Marksmanship Advice

"Well, look at your front sight. Do you see the slight radius at the top?"

I never really noticed it until then, but the front sight DID have a slight radius on top.

"When I looked down the sights of your rifle" Jimmy said, "I immediately noticed that radius. Then I noticed how it mated perfectly with the top of the bull. So I decided to hold at 12 o'clock. When the two radii matched up, I pressed the trigger."

Hi Richie, thanks for your contribution. What do you mean by slight radius ? Radius of curvature ? of the front sight tip ?

The top of the front sight post is ever so slightly rounded (convex).

Yes, you are right, the top edge is between flattish and faintly rounded. But it can also be a matter of perspective as this edge is oriented downwards.
I've circled in red the curvature (see pic). If your friend was able to align this curve with any detail on a target (bull's eye circle), he really had an eagle eye (and excellent light conditions).

I usually use the tip circled in green as my reference point to level with the rear sight and I guess that's what most people do when shooting paper targets.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Front Sight.jpg
    Front Sight.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 26
Since the top of the sight post angles downward toward the muzzle, the rifleman only sees the face of that post in his sight picture. Thus, Jim was using the portion you've circled in green, because it is the de facto top of the sight post.

And while it's probable that differences exist from sight post to sight post, the one on my byf44 appears to have a very small radius at the top when you're peering down the sights. Jim was perceptive to notice that this radius (whether perceived or actual, due to light conditions at the time) would subtend the curvature of a slow-fire pistol bull at 100 yards. As you might imagine, that's a pretty small circle at that distance. Aim small, miss small.

KAR98k sights are just one of the reasons why I miss my 20-year old eyesight!

Richie

Ain't that the truth, brother! When I was in my twenties, I thought all of those warnings about gunfire and loud motorcycle pipes were a lot of hooey. Heck, I was indestructible!

Now, my wife is my hearing aid. When we watch a movie, I'm continually leaning over to ask "What'd he say, babe?"

Richie

Military Rifle Journal
Back