Third Party Press

Ordered Zielklein scope need to know what mounts or rings i need

Rutche

Hello all, i ordered a Zielklein scope for my ES340b which has the barrel with the scope groove aswell. What type of mounts will i need to fit the scope, i heard originals are unobtanium. what dimensions am i looking for

Thank you

Hello all, i ordered a Zielklein scope for my ES340b which has the barrel with the scope groove aswell. What type of mounts will i need to fit the scope, i heard originals are unobtanium. what dimensions am i looking for

Thank you

I have been looking for an original set for 10+ years. Good luck!

The receiver dovetail is 11mm. The scope diameter is 22mm. Mounts have to be high enough so that there is no scope interference with the bolt handle upon opening.

Original mounts were made by the various optics and rifle makers, even into the post-WWII era. Jon Speed's Small bore book is a good reference.

I did acquire a set of mounts about 20 years ago that were sold to me as made in South Africa. They are very close to some of the Mauser produced versions. I have never been able to track down a source or another set.

Some of the older US .22 scope mounts and some of the air gun mounts that fit a 3/8" dovetail and 7/8" dia. scopes would seem to be able to be fitted. However, most (all?) of the period German scopes only have internal elevation adjustment. The windage adjustment was incorporated in the rear scope mount base. And these mounts seem to be too low to permit bolt handle clearance. There were some very similar, inexpensive post-WWII German scopes with internal windage and elevation adjustments and pressed steel mounts. I have one marked Weku that is too low to use on a 340B but works well on my Mm410.

I have always wondered why none of those building repro mounts haven't made these given the number of scopes and rifles that seem to be out there.

My bad its actually an ES340 it has the small bolt. I wonder if its possible to maybe put a modern mount on and see from there

My bad its actually an ES340 it has the small bolt. I wonder if its possible to maybe put a modern mount on and see from there

The dovetail is the same and a lower mount will let the bolt clear. However, the dovetail only goes to the rear of the ejection port. A short bearing point for a two mount system. Not sure if scopes were intended to mount there or the dovetail was for a target receiver sight?

If you are looking at a modern scope then I know that CZ USA sells 1" diameter rings with the 11mm dovetail. Listed under rifles/accessories. Might also want to look at modern air rifle mountings as most high end target air rifles use an 11mm dovetail.

Check the web for Recknagel Katalog #11

Richie

Thanks for the info. Ironic that they are located in vicinity of Schweinfurt. I was stationed there for three years. The picture I use as my avatar was taken near there in 1975.

Recknagel

Interesting, Gem. However, I spoke too soon. It seems that Recknagel only produces their rings in the "standard" diameters (26, 30, 34 and 36mm). I must've gotten carried away when I saw mounts that were vaguely reminiscent of old German styles, and never bothered to look at the ring diameters!

Sorry!

Richie

I checked them out to see if they had windage adjustment in one of the mounts. No go but very nice products anyway. Thanks.

You're most welcome. Another German outfit that makes cool mounts is Ziegler Prazisionsteile. In a previous post on this thread, you wondered why, given the number of old telescopes out there, none of the repro mount guys are making mounts similar to the old Akah et al. Maybe it's because no one asked them to? ZP is like many of the manufacturing concerns in Germany today, they're a small cottage industry doing short-run high precision work. If memory serves, ZP was actually soliciting low volume jobs on one of their web pages, and they're obviously familiar with telescope mounts.

I don't imagine it would be cheap to have them run a dozen-or-so pairs, but mounts like that might actually sell. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary capital to find out, so I'll never know.

Richie

Zielkein Scope Mounts FYI

Attached is some info I chased out regarding scope mounts for your Zielklein scope.

New England Custom Gun Services can obtain EAW mounts. They will have 11mm dovetail, 22mm scope tube sizing.
front sub base. 134/01000
rear sub base with windage. 134/02000
22mm steel rings, 10mm height. 8310
NOTE: Request 11mm mounts
Not see thru
Request non-serrated edges on rail mount clamp. Damaging to rifle rail with on/off cycling.

Hopefully, my ES340b pictures are shown and you can see what they look like. The other picture shows the original Akah mounts and their varied 'BH' heights. The higher the better for bolt, safety clearance, ie, the 22mm example.

Hope this helps. Stay Safe.

Attachments

• WIN_20201022_17_33_17_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201022_17_33_17_Pro.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 17
  • WIN_20201022_17_35_07_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201022_17_35_07_Pro.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 16
  • WIN_20201228_13_26_18_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201228_13_26_18_Pro.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 14
Attached is some info I chased out regarding scope mounts for your Zielklein scope.

New England Custom Gun Services can obtain EAW mounts. They will have 11mm dovetail, 22mm scope tube sizing.
front sub base. 134/01000
rear sub base with windage. 134/02000
22mm steel rings, 10mm height. 8310
NOTE: Request 11mm mounts
Not see thru
Request non-serrated edges on rail mount clamp. Damaging to rifle rail with on/off cycling.

Hopefully, my ES340b pictures are shown and you can see what they look like. The other picture shows the original Akah mounts and their varied 'BH' heights. The higher the better for bolt, safety clearance, ie, the 22mm example.

Hope this helps. Stay Safe.[/QUOTE

How do you adjust windage with the EAW mounts?

Windage Adjust For EAW Mounts.

If my photo attached, the top scope, a Zielklein, has the EAW mounts. Looking at the mount base, on the right side, you will see an allen screw. There are two, one on each side, to set and secure the windage.

Didn't mention price, about $250. For the 22mm scope tubes, I don't know of any other scope rings available, unless you find some originals. There are plenty of options for the newer scopes with windage and elevation, one inch scope tubes, and up, that can work with the 11mm dovetail. Leupold and Weaver have had some - some even have the see through capability. They are usually 3/8 inch 'clamps,' but will work for the 22lr - no real recoil..

Hope this helps. Be Safe.

Attachments

• WIN_20201228_13_26_18_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201228_13_26_18_Pro.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 4

Military Rifle Journal
Back