Third Party Press

Mauser 22's available

mauser350

Checkout December 2020 Gun Digest magazine. Checkpoint Charlies Ad Lots of Mauser 22's available Just a heads up.

Checkpoint Charlie's German .22 Rifles

I noticed this when that magazine showed up a few weeks ago. It seems like ol' Charlie got hold of a collection, and his asking prices weren't too outrageous.

Since I'd never dealt with him, I ordered a DDR Haenel 310 to see if his "95%" was the same as MY 95%.

The piece was right as rain and came with four magazines, so I trusted him on one of his Gustloff Werke KKWs.

We'll see how it is when it shows up. He sure has a lot of iron!

Richie

Current thread

The Mauser 22 trainers came from the collection of Neil Kurtz who passed away last year.
He also owned the S/243G of which I was able to finally get.

The Mauser 22 trainers came from the collection of Neil Kurtz who passed away last year.
He also owned the S/243G of which I was able to finally get.

Stands to reason. When I saw all of that German iron turn up in Charlie's ad, I knew he must've latched onto a collection.

I didn't know Mr. Kurtz, I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Thanks for that information though, and I'll certainly cherish his KKW. There are a couple of other items on that list I'd like to own, most likely they also came from Neil's estate, but I've gotta watch my pennies right now. Doubtless I'll be kicking myself for that before long!

Richie

Prices aren’t unreasonable. Some stuff that they listed are priced low while others are high... so it’s not too bad. Don’t get the magazine... but I’m sure the exposure to someone who knows as much as we do is limited when it comes to trainers... I was surprised stuff is still available... I though maybe he sold but didn’t take the ads down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised stuff is still available... I though maybe he sold but didn’t take the ads down.

Charlie's probably surprised too, Wreck. When I spoke with him during my KKW purchase, he expected all of that stuff to be gone before he put his next ad together.

And you're right -- don't bother with the magazine. Most of the articles are of the "More Plastic Sh*t For Your AR-15!" variety, and written on an elementary school level. I only took a sub so I could look at ads from dealers like Pack and Postal, who don't do internet. GDTM sent me a begging letter, offering a 12-issue sub for something like eleven bucks.

Charlie's probably surprised too, Wreck. When I spoke with him during my KKW purchase, he expected all of that stuff to be gone before he put his next ad together.

And you're right -- don't bother with the magazine. Most of the articles are of the "More Plastic Sh*t For Your AR-15!" variety, and written on an elementary school level. I only took a sub so I could look at ads from dealers like Pack and Postal, who don't do internet. GDTM sent me a begging letter, offering a 12-issue sub for something like eleven bucks.
Trainers are funny... you can find them for 300-5000... what happens at in-person auctions is the auctioneer and people there don't really know what it is, at least the DSM34s, the KKWs look more like k98s so they typically figure out what those are. The other thing is that there are a lot of different makers of trainers with different fonts. If you don't know what Fraktur script/font people typically mis-identify letters, like waffenstadt suhl is often spelled as guhl... so the trainer community is used to getting some gems at low prices if they look and are patient. Charlie has some good rifles, but what is left as of last night when I looked have been sanded, some heavily. That Walther with NSDAP on the stock is worth a lot... but it's almost been completely sanded off which kills it for me... still a great deal if you don't mind the stock being sanded.

Not knocking on Charlie or the collection just stating my experience collecting trainers. Cash is tight for my collecting hobbies right now, otherwise I'd seriously be looking at some of what he has for sale. There is still some good stuff at great prices if those rifles are what your looking for. And, it seems he is being honest in the descriptions when he believes a stock has been refinished which is rare these days- we can all appreciate that.

If I remember the KKW you got and the price it was sold at you got a great deal.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Any info on this? Likely year of manufacture? Good price?

SKU#263 MAUSER 98 COMMERCIAL 7X57 #12294 W/AJACK 4X90 SCOPE & LEATHER CARRYING CASE, 2000 CLAW-MOUNTS, DOUBLE-SET TRIGGERS, MARKED "GERMANIA WAFFENWERK A.G.STELLA-MEHLIS"
& "KRUPP-LAUFSTAHL", EXC. FANCY EUROPEAN WALNUT 1/2 STOCK W/FINE-CHECKERING,
CHEEKPIECE & SCHNABEL-TIP FOREARM, EXPRESS SIGHTS, SWIVEL BASE ON BARREL &
BUTTSTOCK, CHECKERED SPOON-HANDLE BOLT, GRIPCAP, PROFESSIONALLY REPLACED
BUTTPLATE, HONEST WEAR ON FLOORPLATE & TRIGGERGUARD, EXC. BORE, 95% OVERALL

https://www.checkpointcharlies.com/...pp-98-commercial-7x57-w-ajack-4x30-scope.html

Last edited:
Any info on this? Likely year of manufacture? Good price?

SKU#263 MAUSER 98 COMMERCIAL 7X57 #12294 W/AJACK 4X90 SCOPE & LEATHER CARRYING CASE, 2000 CLAW-MOUNTS, DOUBLE-SET TRIGGERS, MARKED "GERMANIA WAFFENWERK A.G.STELLA-MEHLIS"
& "KRUPP-LAUFSTAHL", EXC. FANCY EUROPEAN WALNUT 1/2 STOCK W/FINE-CHECKERING,
CHEEKPIECE & SCHNABEL-TIP FOREARM, EXPRESS SIGHTS, SWIVEL BASE ON BARREL &
BUTTSTOCK, CHECKERED SPOON-HANDLE BOLT, GRIPCAP, PROFESSIONALLY REPLACED
BUTTPLATE, HONEST WEAR ON FLOORPLATE & TRIGGERGUARD, EXC. BORE, 95% OVERALL

https://www.checkpointcharlies.com/...pp-98-commercial-7x57-w-ajack-4x30-scope.html

That was ONE of the rifles I would've jumped on, if money wasn't so tight right now. I really like the 7x57mm cartridge in a sporting rifle, and commercial 98s are really cool!

That was ONE of the rifles I would've jumped on, if money wasn't so tight right now. I really like the 7x57mm cartridge in a sporting rifle, and commercial 98s are really cool!

Very much agree- just wish I could figure out the date— or get some confirmation of value.

That Walther with NSDAP on the stock is worth a lot... but it's almost been completely sanded off which kills it for me... still a great deal if you don't mind the stock being sanded.

Not knocking on Charlie or the collection just stating my experience collecting trainers. Cash is tight for my collecting hobbies right now, otherwise I'd seriously be looking at some of what he has for sale. There is still some good stuff at great prices if those rifles are what your looking for. And, it seems he is being honest in the descriptions when he believes a stock has been refinished which is rare these days- we can all appreciate that.

If I remember the KKW you got and the price it was sold at you got a great deal.

The sanded stock on that NSDAP Walther was pretty sad Wreck, I remember that one. Also the other SA-marked Gustloff that had been drilled and tapped. But I think if I could afford one more Charlie Rifle right now, it'd have to be be that KKJ. Double set trigger, two mags, factory test target, screaming condition, and $1300? I should be all over that, but I wouldn't be happy until it had a 'scope. And that would mean something German of course (probably a Schmidt), and it would have to have a #1 (picket-and-post) reticle. Mo' money.

Yes, the KKW was a gift from God. I had just taken in a big job when that rifle showed up, so I was able to afford it. It would be a difficult piece to upgrade, and it shoots great.

By the way, I stumbled across your answer to my question about the barrel marking on that one, quite by accident. I think we're on the same page, it's probably a steel manufacturer's code. I posted a facsimile of the marking in response, it's on the forum somewhere. It'd be fun to find out it's significance.

Thanks for your help and encouragement buddy, it means a lot!

Richie

Very much agree- just wish I could figure out the date— or get some confirmation of value.

As I recall, the price on that one was quite reasonable, considering the rarity of M98 hunting rifles from that period. For me it would've been "Jump on it now, and then have fun figuring out its history." At that price and condition I could easily flip it if I didn't like it, and the chances are good that it's right as rain.

Richie

As I recall, the price on that one was quite reasonable, considering the rarity of M98 hunting rifles from that period. For me it would've been "Jump on it now, and then have fun figuring out its history." At that price and condition I could easily flip it if I didn't like it, and the chances are good that it's right as rain.

I just took another look at that one, and I was sorely mistaken -- that thing is a turd! It's very obviously a goonsmith reblue that's been to the polishing wheel -- blued over hammer marks on the front base, mounts and 'scope tube are WAY too bright, and there's a big wheel-wash at the number on the barrel. Don't know why I remembered it being "right", because it's far from it. I guess I just blasted past this rifle without looking more carefully, as I was primarily interested in checking out his KKWs.

Richie

I just took another look at that one, and I was sorely mistaken -- that thing is a turd! It's very obviously a goonsmith reblue that's been to the polishing wheel -- blued over hammer marks on the front base, mounts and 'scope tube are WAY too bright, and there's a big wheel-wash at the number on the barrel. Don't know why I remembered it being "right", because it's far from it. I guess I just blasted past this rifle without looking more carefully, as I was primarily interested in checking out his KKWs.

Richie

No kidding/ glad I didn’t pull the trigger then. Shows how much I have to learn from the experts on here...

Military Rifle Journal
Back