Third Party Press

My first bayonet purchase, what do you think?

Brooklyn379

I found this bayonet on eBay, just trying to find a nicer one for reenacting. I was wondering what you guys think of it for a first time buyer. Also, if anyone has a nice bayonet they would sell I may be interested. Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 36
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 44
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 62
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 36
  • bayonet.jpg
    bayonet.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Not too bad. 1943 crs (Paul Weyersberg). Matching (as in serial number/maker) is the way to get them. Down side is the scabbard has been painted. Originally it was blued. Not much of the blue left on the blade and pommel, but the metal looks ok. Can not tell from pics for sure (my eyes suck) but the blade looks to be unsharpened? Sharpened,BAD. Not sharpened,GOOD. Anyway,not a bad first purchase.
I think my first S84/98 III had a painted scabbard as well.

Matching bayonet is ok, i believe the handle was acid phosporic cleaned, note the discolored areas on pommel, so the origin blueing is gone, possible some remains on blade, so for 230 it would be little high as 43crs is not rare maker or year. It was probably cleaned by previous owner, sometimes is better find one in rusted but origin condition.

It's good to find matching examples but I personally would pass on this one as the scabbard is painted. For reenacting you could find a good bayonet for half the price that is nonmatching and in original condition. That might be a better way to go since you plan on using the bayonet and in the process won't be damaging a nice matching example.

I believe the paint covered too the chemically cleaned surface on scabbard, when the price would be 120 or little higher, it could be reblued and used as reenactment piece, i dont see problem with the black paint by reenactment its only cover the blueing from damage.Important is the possibility of attaching on rifle Kar98k.

Military Rifle Journal
Back