Third Party Press

MP43/I for sale in France

Guillaume d'Orange

Hi everyone, a gunsmith in France is selling a piece "found" in an attic.
It is presented as an all-matching MP43/I , modified to semi-auto.
I won't buy it, but I post the pics for your enjoyment and to learn if it is indeed an original piece.
Looks like an MP44 to me, there's no "ce" but a e/37 : assembled by Sauer ?

Link to the gunsmith ad:
http://www.armurerie-grand-est.fr/produit.php?id=3217

Attachments

• 9284.jpg
    9284.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 9285.jpg
    9285.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 9286.jpg
    9286.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 66
  • 9287.jpg
    9287.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 9289.jpg
    9289.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 9290.jpg
    9290.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 9291.jpg
    9291.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 9292.jpg
    9292.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 9293.jpg
    9293.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 9294.jpg
    9294.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
More pics of the gun

Attachments

• 9295.jpg
    9295.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 9296.jpg
    9296.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 9297.jpg
    9297.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 9298.jpg
    9298.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 9299.jpg
    9299.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 9300.jpg
    9300.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 48
  • 9301.jpg
    9301.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 9302.JPG
    9302.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
MP 43s have rails on the side of the rear sight [you do not show] and have a much deeper stock.A closer look shows the rails.

I'd buy it.

All looks fine, there are some alterations, period or later to the serials, the one on the stock ferrule and the MP43/I lines thru is interesting. Lots of cleaning, rust removal, but, all that is fine and par the course - I'd buy this now if it was in front of me here for that price.

To make it semi-auto all they did was remove the op rod sear trip (and that not even completely)? I don't know if that's gonna fly with authorities.....

It's a category B weapon that could be converted to the lesser Cat C (3 round mag.)
French Firearm laws - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_regulation_in_France

Gunkraut - owning these weapons in Europe opens your premises to regular inspection, you wouldn't really want to go altering it too much.
There is no "right" to bear arms there, it's a privilege that can be revoked really easily.

That we still have the wonderful constitution here in the USA, is the reason so many European ex-pats love this country - me included.

See Charles IX of France statement to parliament in 1563 for a laugh.

Funny to see the "/1" lined out in the model designation. I wonder if that maybe really was a MP43/1 receiver that was completed to MP44 by Sauer? Thanks for sharing the link! One question for not being familiar with French laws: the seller offers conversion to Cat.C - does that mean he'd convert the gun to a straight pull bolt action rifle?

Re the price, consider this gun is in Europe and cannot be compared to US prices.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I noticed that the op rod has a e/359 (?) may hint at Walther (W.z = Walther Zehla ?). The ad says that the barrel has been changed, that may explain why the distinctive muzzlenut to attach a Granatwerfer is gone, however the rails at the base of the rear sight seem to be there in one of the overview pics.
About the striked-through "/I", it has been observed on other guns:
https://www.espeholt.dk/mediearkiv/m44_c.pdf

About French categories, if it has been really found in attic, it was full-auto, hence catégorie A (weapon of war). I think the gunsmith shall have a special license to buy or own a full-auto (even if he will transform it later on). But that's his business.

Catégorie B is for semi-auto guns/rifles, you need a sport shooting license, declare the gun, get a 5-year license for the gun (to be renewed regularly).
Catégorie C is for manually repeating rifles like the K98k. To buy these, you have to be a hunter or sport shooter, but if you stop hunting or shooting, you will still own your gun, contrary to catégorie B.
If you stop shooting and own a catégorie B (or if you get sentenced before a court), you have to sell it or give it to police for destruction.

I'm a sport shooter, but would not put thousands of euros in a catégorie B, as basically you're renting the gun from the State. That's a pity, especially when it comes to historical rifles (won't mention the semi-auto conversion).
Before 2013, old military rifles (like K98k) in France were catégorie B and it was a serious drag for collectors. Now they are catégorie C.

Last edited:
To make it semi-auto all they did was remove the op rod sear trip (and that not even completely)? I don't know if that's gonna fly with authorities.....

Gunkraut, when talking about sear trip, are you refering to the part circled in red ? I guess the gunsmith has taken the pic before doing anything.

Attachments

• 9291.jpg
    9291.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 36
Funny to see the "/1" lined out in the model designation. I wonder if that maybe really was a MP43/1 receiver that was completed to MP44 by Sauer? Thanks for sharing the link! One question for not being familiar with French laws: the seller offers conversion to Cat.C - does that mean he'd convert the gun to a straight pull bolt action rifle?

Re the price, consider this gun is in Europe and cannot be compared to US prices.

That's right Absolut, "catégorie C" means conversion to straight pull/manual repetition. I don't know how the gunsmith will achieve this : destroy the recoil spring and weld the spring channel ? destroy the gas piston ?

Is that easy to own one converted to semi-auto in Germany ?

Last edited:
It is an MP43 and not MP43 / 1 - / 1 is lined out. Note, among other things, the short muzzle nut. MP43 / 1 has a long muzzle nut.
Both Sauer and Haenel used WaA37, and I'm sure it's a Haenel construction as Haenel did not mark their weapons with "fxo" on the first part of their production.
Sauer started their production with the "p" block.

Last edited:
It is an MP43 and not MP43 / 1 - / 1 is lined out. Note, among other things, the short muzzle nut. MP43 / 1 has a long muzzle nut.
Both Sauer and Haenel used WaA37, and I'm sure it's a Haenel construction as Haenel did not mark their weapon with "fxo" on the first part of their production.
Sauer started their production with the "p" block.

Yes, it is presented as an MP43/1, but it is not : no long muzzle nut, barrel that has a shorter diameter towards the end and front sight base.
MP43 or MP44, I don't know, but it has been assembled in 1944 with an MP43/1 receiver.
I did not know about Sauer beginning with the "p" block, but, yes, surely Haenel as they were the biggest manufacturer anyway.

Oh yes, thanks, I see now the traces of the grinder (circled in green).

He has also welded the selector lever in the single shot position but it looks like the auto sear was not removed. Just left in place and welded to the left of the trigger pack. I guess he wasnt required to remove that part?
If it was converted to straight pull/single shot design I imagine the easiest way to do this would be to weld over or block the gas hole in the barrel and the gas block. Since the receiver lacks internal rails of any kind and the tolerances between the bolt, carrier and receiver are somewhat loose, I would leave the piston on the bolt to help as a guide. I would leave the main spring in place. But it all depends on what is legal where you live.

He has also welded the selector lever in the single shot position but it looks like the auto sear was not removed. Just left in place and welded to the left of the trigger pack. I guess he wasnt required to remove that part?
If it was converted to straight pull/single shot design I imagine the easiest way to do this would be to weld over or block the gas hole in the barrel and the gas block. Since the receiver lacks internal rails of any kind and the tolerances between the bolt, carrier and receiver are somewhat loose, I would leave the piston on the bolt to help as a guide. I would leave the main spring in place. But it all depends on what is legal where you live.

Thanks Intruder196, I see the weld on the selector button and he has also cut the selector spring.
You are right that altering the gas system without affecting the piston may be the easiest way to proceed to a straight pull conversion.
I don't know if gunsmiths in France have clear requirements from authorities about this kind of work : I guess the idea is to make sure it is not too easy for the average guy to reverse the conversion, here there are at least 3 modifications.

Military Rifle Journal
Back