Third Party Press

Czech G33/40 DOT 1942 Rifle

nybocce

Hello - I am new to milsurp world and just found this site while looking up information on a rifle. Thank you for having me!

I have an opportunity to pick up a Czech G33/40 DOT 1942 rifle. I have very limited knowledge of Mausers and with the ever increasing prices I was hoping for some guidance on whether to go for this particular one. The rifle is out of state and I only have a few pictures. I've done business with the owner once before, a really nice guy and he reached out to me offering it for $600 before he lists it online.

From his email: "It’s a G33/40 Czech mountain rifle, used to guard the borders on the mountain. It’s shorter and lighter than the 98 K. I haven’t listed it yet. I was going to start the bid at 600.00. If you’re interested in this let me know. I know it’s close to the holidays but the Czech one is a pretty good deal. There are not too many out there. Let me know"

As the title states, its a DOT 1942 dated G33/40 and has a cracked original stock but the barrel was put into a laminated replacement. See pictures for reference. I've asked him for additional information/photos such as bore condition, is original stock matching numbers, is the bolt matching or hollowed out, is there a circle Z stamping anywhere?

I saw that someone posted the following regarding G33/40's on this forum:

Order of scarcity:
945 1941 Rarest
DOT 1942 Rare
945 1940 Scarce
DOT 1941 Most Common (if there is such a thing)

I am not looking for an investment piece at $600 and was glad that it is a functional rifle now (with the replacement stock) as well as getting what I hope to be a matching original stock. He said the original stock can be fixed but I am not that guy. If it can be repaired I would do so in order to keep it as originally made.

I'd just hate to pass on something that he may be giving me a really good price on (if $600 is) only to see it go much higher online.

Would anyone care to offer feedback?

Thanks!

G33-40_05.jpegG33-40_06.jpegG33-40_05.jpegG33-40_04.jpegG33-40_01.jpegG33-40_02.jpegG33-40_03.jpeg

Yes, I'd think the 600 is below retail. The devil is in the details? Like the bolt... is it a 33/40 and that sight hood.... also, from a 33/40.... Do you also get the orig cracked stock?

Yes, I'd think the 600 is below retail. The devil is in the details? Like the bolt... is it a 33/40 and that sight hood.... also, from a 33/40.... Do you also get the orig cracked stock?

Thanks for your feedback! I am waiting to hear back from him regarding the bolt as well as if the cracked stock has matching numbers. Yes - the cracked stock comes with it.

Bolt doesn’t look g33/40 to me, but even all mixed up $600 is pretty good in my opinion and the hood is either right or a repro as a 98k hood won’t sit on there.

yes it can be repaired , but I would not let some local smithy do it. We had a post here awhile back regarding a guy who repairs K-98 wood. maybe someone could add some info..

I would not shoot it in that stock again

Bolt doesn’t look g33/40 to me, but even all mixed up $600 is pretty good in my opinion and the hood is either right or a repro as a 98k hood won’t sit on there.

Agree with you. Bolt is round knob for sure. bolt.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to pick this up. Looking for a cleaning rod to go with it but that is proving difficult! Since I'll be getting another stock albeit cracked, I am either going to see if it can be repaired or perhaps if there is any value in that...

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to pick this up. Looking for a cleaning rod to go with it but that is proving difficult! Since I'll be getting another stock albeit cracked, I am either going to see if it can be repaired or perhaps if there is any value in that...

Did you purchase then? Off GB...

Attachments

• Cap33.1.jpg
    Cap33.1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 32

Military Rifle Journal
Back