Third Party Press

Danuvia 43M submachine gun

Absolut

Came across one of these absolutely unique guns and thought I should get it ... it is the successor to the 39M. The most distinctive difference of the 43M is the folding stock compared to the 39M (small side note: the only 39M I've handled so far was very interesting in that it has head a Deaths Head stamp in the pistol grip area - and where it came from it is beyond any doubt of this being authentic. So seems to have originated from the SS). For what I know they are also using different magazines since various other details differ as well. The folding magazine mechanism is something rare if not unique among submachine guns. It makes it much handier - the magazine is really long and I assume tough to handle if you are lying on the ground. The whole gun however is extremely large, compared to current standards of submachine guns - it has the size of a MP44, to give an idea. Note it even has provision for a bayonet! Plus it also has the rather unique caliber 9x25mm Mauser export. It however seemed to have been quite popular, also among German troops in WWII. Maybe also worth mentioning, it has a quite large three stage selector atop the gun that allows to switch between safe, semi and full auto.

Anyway, attached are a few pictures for future reference (note serial following the A prefix was digitally removed - the serial was stamped both on the receiver as well as on the stock). Looking forward to comments!

Attachments

• 43M_01.jpg
    43M_01.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 43M_02.jpg
    43M_02.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 43M_03.jpg
    43M_03.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 43M_04.jpg
    43M_04.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 92
  • 43M_05.jpg
    43M_05.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 43M_06.jpg
    43M_06.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 105
  • 43M_07.jpg
    43M_07.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 43M_08.jpg
    43M_08.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 76
You always post unique and interesting firearms George, I’ve never seen one of those before. I’d imagine the 9x25 Mauser export round would be popular with everyone. It packs more punch/ range than standard 9mm Para.

Thanks for posting. Made my morning. Where can we learn more ??? I see the mark on the receiver was it a Steyr weapon ?

Thanks for sharing this interesting piece. Based on production numbers I see this must be a pretty rare bird, even in Europe?

Thanks for posting. Made my morning. Where can we learn more ??? I see the mark on the receiver was it a Steyr weapon ?

No, this is not a Steyr weapon. It is Hungarian made. They were designed by Pál Király and manufactured by Danuvia Gepgyar factory.

Thanks for sharing this interesting piece. Based on production numbers I see this must be a pretty rare bird, even in Europe?

According to Wikipedia only 8000 were manufactured - it is unclear to me whether this refers to 39M and 43M together or to 43M only. But either way it can be considered rare. The last one that sold in the US was auctioned by James D. Julia auctions and went for $ 40,250.00 a few years back. But this price of course is way off from European prices and mainly a result of being pre 86 registered.

No, this is not a Steyr weapon. It is Hungarian made. They were designed by Pál Király and manufactured by Danuvia Gepgyar factory.

I saw the commercial mark and it looked very similar to the steyr marking.. The [ M ] I should have guessed... :facepalm:

Thanks for posting Absolut.

Nice to see some members snatch up some rare pieces.

Bought from an estate several boxes full of ammo, when sorting them this box fell into my hands. Does anyone know whether this in fact is the original Hungarian ammo for the 39M (and also 43M) from 1942 (printed) or 1943 (tough to read the ink stamp on the box)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 39M_01.jpg
    39M_01.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 39M_02.jpg
    39M_02.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 39M_03.jpg
    39M_03.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 17
Looks to be, ammo is made by fegyver es gepgyar(feg). I have never seen that ammo before , thanks for sharing that.

<The most distinctive difference of the 43M is the folding stock compared to the 39M>

Slightly shorter barrel on the 43M as well.

<For what I know they are also using different magazines>

Yes, the feed lips of the 43M magazines are slightly canted due to its forward angle.

<The folding magazine mechanism is something rare if not unique among submachine guns.>

French MAC 48 LS, Hotchkiss Universal, MAS C4, MAT49 also use the fold-forward magazine.

Interesting piece, very rarely encountered in the U.S.!

Richie

Military Rifle Journal
Back