Third Party Press

Making new G-41 handguards?

flynaked

Repo Field Gear Collector
Trying to see if there is enough interest to warrant making a small run of some? Had a crappy urethane repro break into pieces after a couple of rounds out of a shooter. I’m making one to replace it, but a small production run is a whole other expense factor. Before I invest more time and energy, and cover the cost of a vacuum chamber and additional materials, I thought I would ask around. They would be composite, not urethane, I’ll need to find a resin with a high enough Tg temp to handle shooting temperatures, so that will be a major factor. Not sure on price yet, it will depend on what resin I go with etc, but I would estimate a price between $2-300 each. If there’s enough interest, I would start on this project sometime in January. Anyone interested?

Hey Fly I would be in on a couple
Of them.
I have seen a few different shades, on originals
You thinkin that or just straight black?

I would be in on one for the G43 also if you did them

Steveo

Steveo, thanks for the reply. I’m experimenting with different dyes, fillers and thixotropics, and combinations there of. I even tried some junk 98k stock sawdust which made quite a neat tone. Right now I’ve got two rifles to go off of, one is basically black, the other a dark chocolate brown. If anyone could take some photos in natural light of the lighter brown tones I’ve seen that would be helpful! I could definitely offer different tones, so possibly a made to order scenario. Right now, I’ve basically got the above two tones nailed down, but nothing lighter in color. The prototype will be going to the range for testing in late December.

As to G-43’s I no longer own a durafol HG to reference so that would be problematic right now. It seems as though I’ve seen some repros on the market but maybe not?

I’m also contemplating how to mark them as non originals.

There was a guy in Europe that did some for me. He was selling faux G43 ones on ebay. I sent him a copy of my Polish Wood one and then he did one up. I eventually was able to find an original.

Hardly anyone makes repro parts for the G41, so I am sure there would be some demand.

Thanks for the input guys, I didn’t get a chance to mess with them like I hoped over the break. I did find a suitable resin, looking at over $1k/ gal for it so there would have to be enough interest for sure. I should have some ready to photograph soon.

Military Rifle Journal
Back