Third Party Press

Kar. 98

I have been preoccupied the last couple of days, but want to make it clear that rifles discussed here that are up for sale will have less latitude for discussion. I think this is the right thing to do for those collectors that have invested their time, money and energy in the forum and hobby in general. Gerst and his actions are not at issue, he had valid reasons for coming here for advice, - that advice is still available, he can PM or email me and as I have time I will help, others do this service also... most collectors will offer opinions to new collectors and I do it a couple times a week (though sometimes I may not have the time or forget to reply in a timely manner)

Mike, Bruce and Craig give moderators latitude in the application of these rules (to weigh the value of a potential discussion to the forum verses its detriment to experienced collectors who may have a private interest), when this rule was first advanced at the founding of the forum I fully supported this restriction that protects experienced collectors. Since I left the market this had become less urgent a priority to me and I let this filter into the forums I moderate, but Chris, Sam, Cyrus and Mike remind me of the importance I use to recognize... As I said earlier, I am not sure how I will handle the next instance of this occurring, for every case is unique, however vetting auctions or comprehensive analysis of rifles for sale will be restricted to extraordinary cases and generally curtailed until the auction or sale is over.

The tricky part is implementing this commitment without the hallmarks of censorship, or rather the appearance of censorship...

Message boxes

I have been preoccupied the last couple of days, but want to make it clear that rifles discussed here that are up for sale will have less latitude for discussion. I think this is the right thing to do for those collectors that have invested their time, money and energy in the forum and hobby in general. Gerst and his actions are not at issue, he had valid reasons for coming here for advice, - that advice is still available, he can PM or email me and as I have time I will help, others do this service also... most collectors will offer opinions to new collectors and I do it a couple times a week (though sometimes I may not have the time or forget to reply in a timely manner)

Mike, Bruce and Craig give moderators latitude in the application of these rules (to weigh the value of a potential discussion to the forum verses its detriment to experienced collectors who may have a private interest), when this rule was first advanced at the founding of the forum I fully supported this restriction that protects experienced collectors. Since I left the market this had become less urgent a priority to me and I let this filter into the forums I moderate, but Chris, Sam, Cyrus and Mike remind me of the importance I use to recognize... As I said earlier, I am not sure how I will handle the next instance of this occurring, for every case is unique, however vetting auctions or comprehensive analysis of rifles for sale will be restricted to extraordinary cases and generally curtailed until the auction or sale is over.

The tricky part is implementing this commitment without the hallmarks of censorship, or rather the appearance of censorship...

Please make sure that members keep their message boxes accessible for private questions. I’m not ready to fly solo yet!

Please make sure that members keep their message boxes accessible for private questions. I’m not ready to fly solo yet!

Yes, this is a problem... my mail box often is maxed out... Mike needs to give me more space! I have some PM's I don't want to delete.

Kar.98a

I’ve been following auctions and GB and it has become clear that thrown-together, beat-up mixmasters are selling for $600 to $800. and matching or mostly-matching well cared-for rifles are going for twice that and as much as two thou. I wouldn’t want a “junky” rifle and the “big bucks” models aren’t worth what people are willing to pay, at least not to me. I think I’ll go back and hide in the bushes for awhile.

Military Rifle Journal
Back