Third Party Press

Q&A: ERMA K98k .22 LR Conversion Kit

Hi Folks!

This post is intended as a range report of sorts to answer the many questions I had about actually using an ERMA K98k .22 LR Conversion Kit.

All additions, suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

Thanks!
Dave

====

Q&A: ERMA K98k .22 LR Conversion Kit

So, you got yourself a K98k. Now, what are you going to do with it?

Your wallet will take a hefty hit – 75 cents to a dollar – every time you pull the trigger on an store-bought 8 mm round, and your shoulder will take another blow – with recoil energy more than triple that of a 5.56/.223 round.

The solution is a conversion kit that will let you enjoy your K98k with (relatively) inexpensive and (definitely) softer shooting .22 Long Rifle ammo. These kits were reportedly made by a variety of German manufacturers, dating back to the 1930s.

However, in my experience, the most common of these kits were made by ERMA – the Erfurter Maschinenfabrik – and known as the “EL24” kit. Here’s one I was fortunate to pick up from Kinsey’s Outdoors in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania:

Erma-kit.jpg

What’s in the box?

- An insert. That’s the very long piece at the bottom of the box. It’s comprised of a 22 bolt and receiver sleeve which is attached to the barrel sleeve.

- A five-round magazine (upper left). Two mags were typically included. Alas, only one came with my kit.

- A floor-plate insert (upper right)

- A steel pin to rotate the locking collar. The pin was missing from my kit, but any short piece of steel rod or a drill bit will suffice.

It was all packaged in a very cool hardwood, plywood box which was routed to fit the various parts of the kit. To a collector, the box is a very valuable component, and fakes reportedly exist.

Before we proceed, a word of warning … ERMA made kits to fit a variety of German rifles, not just the K98k. In my case, I had to go out and buy a K98k to confirm that I had the kit to fit a K98k, which admittedly was putting the cart way before the horse.

How do you install it? Even with a genuine Mauser-made K98k in hand, the installation was a bit of a puzzle. Here’s the Cliff’s Notes version:

- Remove the original bolt.

- Remove the original floor plate. This can be a bit of a challenge. Mine was very tightly fit and glued in place by years of gunk. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCG3GwDDnrE for instructions.

- Clean and lightly lube the bore. Lightly lube the barrel sleeve while you’re at it.

- Remove the .22 bolt from the from the insert. There no release button or lever. Just maneuver the bolt handle through the little raceway than runs out the back of the insert.

- BEFORE YOU PUT THE INSERT IN THE K98, rotate the locking collar counterclockwise. The locking collar? It’s the piece with the pinholes, just ahead of the proof marks here:

Erma_proofs.jpg

- Look for the locking lugs on the insert. Rotate the lugs until the larger lug is on the right side, and the smaller lug is on the left. The insert will not go the whole way into the gun if the lugs are reversed.

- Insert the insert into the breech of the barrel. Go slowly. There will be friction, but if you wiggle it a bit, it will go in. (Insert inappropriate joke here.) On my example it required a bit of force, but not much. A light tap with a block of wood drove it in the last quarter inch or so. When you’re done, the ERMA logo should be on top, and the thick part of the receiver insert should be just forward of the rear edge of the original receiver ring.

kit001.jpg

- Using the pin mentioned earlier to rotate the locking collar clockwise. Just a snug fit is needed to keep it place.

- Install the .22 floor plate. Again, mine was very tightly fit and required a bit of gentle tapping to secure. Install the .22 magazine in the floor plate.

- Install the bolt, maneuvering it back through the raceway.

One special note … the .22 conversion cocks on closing. That is, the effort required to cock the firing pin spring comes from closing the bolt, and you’ll find that out right away. I’d guesstimate it takes about 10 pounds of force to close the bolt.

But wait, there’s more … the conversion bolt has does not have a latching mechanism to keep the bolt cocked if you open the bolt without having pulled the trigger first. So, if you close the bolt and then open it without firing the gun, the bolt will spring back with the same energy you put into closing it. The bolt isn’t going anywhere, but it can be a bit of a surprise.

Now, for the big question: Does it work?

Flawlessly.

The conversion feeds, fires, extracts and ejects without no issues at all. The trigger has a long first stage pull with a heavy, but crisp break. That’s just as it was before the conversion was installed. The magazine release works with a sliding, not pushing, motion which takes a try or two to learn, but it works perfectly.

What about recoil? The gun weighs 9 pounds, 5 ounces with the conversion kit installed. Firing a 40 grain bullet at maybe 1,200 feet per second generates a felt recoil of, well, nada.

How does it look? Like some sort of Rube Goldberg rig? Judge for yourself …

Erma_installed01.jpg

The obvious tells are the straight bolt handle and the magazine sticking out the bottom of the stock …

Erma_installed02.jpg

But I bet it would take more than a minute or two for anyone at the range to notice.

All of which brings us to the final question: Does it shoot? That is, what level of consistency/accuracy does it deliver?

I don’t know. Why? Because of the godawful sights. The rear is a shallow V. The front is a short inverted V. It’s almost impossible to get a consistent sight picture with the pair, especially in the vertical axis, especially with 64-year-old eyes. The irony is that this has nothing to do with the ERMA conversion. The sights are Mauser parts, and to make it all the more frustrating, Mauser sporting rifles of the era have wonderful, easy-to-align, post-and-notch sights.

Now, having vented, I can tell you this … I was routinely hitting a 4-inch-diameter steel plate at 100 yards with those sights.

Which ain’t bad.

And in the end, the level of accuracy is more than adequate for the purpose of the kit: to let you enjoy your K98k with very little physical or fiscal pain.

Well, that’s not quite true.

The kit isn’t cheap. I paid $795 for mine earlier this year (2020), and if you don’t already have the K98k, you can figure on another thousand or two or three. World War II era arms and accessories were already accelerating in price before the presidential election, and I expect they’re only going to climb faster. Proceed as your budget sees fit.

Enjoy!
Dave

P.S. Before I go, I want to thank “kaynine” and all the folks at rimfirecentral.com for all their help in this project. If you love rimfires of any kind, you need to stop in there.

I have two of these and absolutely love them. They are a joy to shoot and as you've said accurate. A testament to true craftsmanship. :thumbsup:

Every 8mm k98 should be converted into a .22 :thumbsup:

I hit a 18" steel plate pretty consistently at 300 yards, even managed to hit some steel at 600 a couple times (luck) both 300 and 600 yards were with 40gr Federal HV Match coming out of a JGA DSM and a Gustloff KKW... the DSM was more accurate in my opinion, but both were close. At 600 you have to have something pretty high above the target to reference. The k98 sights are different than the DSM and KKWs but not by much. Give it some time and you'll get use to them and how a 22 shoots with them.

I bet people drool when you bust that out at the range.

Do the parts match on the Erma kit? Is it missing a clip? Regardless 800 is really not bad--I say you did really well. Getting an Erma kit is on my list, but that means I have to get one of those crappy 8mm first, yawn.

giphy.webp

Last edited:
Nice treatise on this....thanks.

My pleasure! Thanks!

I hit a 18" steel plate pretty consistently at 300 yards, even managed to hit some steel at 600 a couple times (luck) both 300 and 600 yards were with 40gr Federal HV Match coming out of a JGA DSM and a Gustloff KKW... the DSM was more accurate in my opinion, but both were close. At 600 you have to have something pretty high above the target to reference.

My goodness! Pretty high must be something like 8-10 feet. Wow!

Do the parts match on the Erma kit? Is it missing a clip?

The parts do match, but it is missing one magazine and the little pin to rotate the locking collar.

Yours,
Dave

I hit a 18" steel plate pretty consistently at 300 yards, even managed to hit some steel at 600 a couple times (luck) both 300 and 600 yards were with 40gr Federal HV Match coming out of a JGA DSM and a Gustloff KKW... the DSM was more accurate in my opinion, but both were close. At 600 you have to have something pretty high above the target to reference. The k98 sights are different than the DSM and KKWs but not by much. Give it some time and you'll get use to them and how a 22 shoots with them.

giphy.webp

Is that the reaction while waiting for that .22LR bullet to get to the plate and make the "ting" sound at 300 yds? At 600 yds I guess you could make a sandwich and eat while waiting, assuming the "ting" can be heard at 600 yds..... ;)

Is that the reaction while waiting for that .22LR bullet to get to the plate and make the "ting" sound at 300 yds? At 600 yds I guess you could make a sandwich and eat while waiting, assuming the "ting" can be heard at 600 yds..... ;)

300yards is easy, 600 yards I was batting like 3 for 30. For sure, had to be at least a good 8-10 seconds and was pretty faint for sure. The only way I was able to hear the ping was because I was hitting something that was steel, hollow and no ear protection. The area where I shoot is perfect for long range 22 because I shoot at a power easement through the woods, so, in the summer the trees trap the sound (good for 22 bad for 8mm :thumbsup:). I shoot from one hill, over a swamp to another hill with a target down a bit. I've never measured the height but I'm pretty sure the target is at a lower elevation than from where I shoot so that helps. So, I'd post pictures of where I shoot..., it make more sense, but I'm getting a new phone tomorrow and took out my SD card and now I've lost it... lol I've been looking for 2 hours. I swear!

I'm starting to think that I have a better chance of scoring a 1936 BSW than finding my SD card at this point. :facepalm:

300yards is easy, 600 yards I was batting like 3 for 30.

That's fun stuff, Wreck. I remember worrying a 5-gallon paint pail at 300 yards, with a 4-inch Beretta Minx in .22 short. Talk about hold-over! I couldn't have done it if the pail hadn't been in the middle of a shallow rain puddle that was about 75 yards in diameter.

Richie

Well couldn't find the SD card, but I luckily backed my pictures up before losing it. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I promised pics....

RED dot is holdover at 600 with sights maxed at 200m, Red with Yellow dot was target area.... approximately... line poles are 300 yards apart... pic taken right in front of one... so its about 600 yards

Perfect location for long range .22. Love to see if that Erma is just as accurate as the DSM34. Have you taken it out to the range yet?

Attachments

• dsm34600yards_01.jpg
    dsm34600yards_01.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 31
RED dot is holdover at 600 with sights maxed at 200m, Red with Yellow dot was target area.... approximately... line poles are 300 yards apart... pic taken right in front of one... so its about 600 yards

Perfect location for long range .22. Love to see if that Erma is just as accurate as the DSM34. Have you taken it out to the range yet?

Oh, cool! Thanks!

Yes, it's been to the range. See above.

Thanks again!
Dave

Dave,

Looked through my auction records and the kits i have recorded sell for $1200 - $1800 before buyers premium, usually around 20%. A lot of those kits aren’t complete or matching so I’d say you did extremely well on your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked through my auction records and the kits i have recorded sell for $1200 - $1800 before buyers premium, usually around 20%. A lot of those kits aren’t complete or matching so I’d say you did extremely well on your purchase.

I also did well on the purchase of the Mauser K98k ... which now creates a dilemma: Do I sell them (together or separately) and realize a profit while the market is hot? Or do I keep them and have a boatload of fun?!?

Thanks!
Dave

Fantastic information. I have a Gewehr 98 I inherited back in 2010. I've yet to fire it, i watched my former husband, USMC and a few of his jr Marines play with it at our backyard range. They all acted as if they'd been kicked in the shoulder by a draft horse. Several years later I Erma insert at a garage sale for $15. Something I didnt know even existed. Here I am, 4 years later still looking for a dang floor plate.

Fantastic information. I have a Gewehr 98 I inherited back in 2010. I've yet to fire it, i watched my former husband, USMC and a few of his jr Marines play with it at our backyard range. They all acted as if they'd been kicked in the shoulder by a draft horse. Several years later I Erma insert at a garage sale for $15. Something I didnt know even existed. Here I am, 4 years later still looking for a dang floor plate.
Welcome. So you need a floorplate for a .22 conversion?
Start a new thread. Introduce yourself, and post a few pictures ( less than 1kb in size) and I’m sure someone can come up with something.

Military Rifle Journal
Back