Third Party Press

Deformed brass

Sauer_Kraut

I got my G43 running today. I examined the brass and it is deformed inward around the neck, kind of how it looks fired from a MG. I didn't get a picture but I am wondering if this is normal?

Last edited:
brass marks

at the very end of the video posted by Gunkraut, the case spins around & the mouth strikes the side of the action. Sauer Kraut, could you post some stills of your cases, so we may perhaps see some witness marks that will tell the story ? SOMETIMES reloaded cases exhibit “wrinkling” (my term) at the neck & shoulder due to over lubrication when resizing. After watching the vid, I’d assume this isn’t what you are referring to.

I got my G43 running today. I examined the brass and it is deformed inward around the neck, kind of how it looks fired from a MG. I didn't get a picture but I am wondering if this normal?

Quite normal,mine does the same, though not on all cases.
Not a big deal,cases come out perfect after resizing,haven't had one split one yet.

Mine does this as well. G/k43s are very rough on brass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Common issue and varies depending on what ammo your using. The case flips 180 deg and smacks the top of the bolt carrier. But in the process of experimenting with my reloads to find the the lightest loading that still functions with shooter kit/springs upgrade I now have it where there is minimal denting of the case mouth. If anyone reloads here is what I found with my rifle. This is with 150 grain bullets and either IMR 4064 or IMR 4166 powder:

Powder charge
43 = heavy case mouth dents had to work mouth open before attempting to resize
42.5 = slightly less but still more than I want
42.0 = moderate but still not great
41.5 = some improvement
41.0 = little to no case mouth denting. Rifle functions fine and cases eject to 3 0"clock about 6 ft out.

All of these are accurate loads in both the G43 and several K98s too. Your results may vary.

If anyone shoots & reloads 308 you may notice this is one of the loadings we M1a guys use also. However 43 grain charge with 168 bullet showed some case mouth dents from cases striking op rod handle on M1a's as well but not as bad

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
at the very end of the video posted by Gunkraut, the case spins around & the mouth strikes the side of the action. Sauer Kraut, could you post some stills of your cases, so we may perhaps see some witness marks that will tell the story ? SOMETIMES reloaded cases exhibit “wrinkling” (my term) at the neck & shoulder due to over lubrication when resizing. After watching the vid, I’d assume this isn’t what you are referring to.

Oh I see now. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the brass and I also left them at the range. I was running factory ammo. Also, the cases only deformed approximately 60% of the time.

Yes the all bit the crap of the brass, But neck can be formed back with needle nose plier. You should be good to load. IMO you're safe for only two more reloads.

Military Rifle Journal
Back