Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danzig Rebuild of a 1914 Spandau

Default Danzig Rebuild of a 1914 Spandau

Hi all and Happy New Year!

I picked this one up several months ago, but a stubborn action screw prevented me from doing my full spread. Thankfully, heat, oil and old fashioned persistence paid off.

My reason for sharing this is that the rifle is a treasure trove of various depot work and could serve as a good reference for what was done on these.

Fonts, style and extent of work all lead me to say Danzig, but please let me know if I'm wrong here.

The receiver bears a 4th acceptance from a new barrel installed, the bolt has been reused twice before this rifle, trigger guard and mag assembly are scavenged. The stock is early Otto cypher Amberg. To my eyes, the only things not force matched or matching are the ejector box and extractor.

The finish on the parts is very inconsistent and some of these were clearly not reblued before installing.

There is something on the stock (maybe shellac) but the coat is very thin so I left it be.

SPANDAU ARSENAL 1914
    (DANZIG ARSENAL COMPLETE REBUILD)

Receiver 4049 a
    Barrel 4049 (BI 579)
    Front Sight 49
    Rear Sight Leaf 49
    Sight Slider 49
    Ejector Box 69
    Trigger Sear 49
    Front Barrel Band 49
    Rear Barrel Band 49
    Trigger Guard 4049
    Trigger Guard Screws 49, 49
    Floor Plate 49
    Follower 49
    Stock 4049
    Handguard 4049
    Buttplate 4049
    Bayonet Lug 49
    Cleaning Rod unnumbered
    Bolt Body 4049 (on knob)
    Extractor 53
    Safety 49
    Cocking Piece 49
    Bolt Sleeve 49
    Firing Pin 49

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisftk; 01-02-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Pics ctd..

A very nice rework! Glad you finally got that stubborn screw to relent

This has some very interesting similarities to my Danzig 1914 rework, most notably the additional acceptance for the barrel: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....2370a-y-Rework

That’s neat, I love the bolt renumbering, I’ve never seen one like that. Forgive my ignorance of imperial practices, but I would have expected a depot marking on the BP, I guess that’s not always the case? I love the almost cartoonish assembly numbers on the barrel and receiver.
    Looking for commercials

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingMantis View Post
    A very nice rework! Glad you finally got that stubborn screw to relent

This has some very interesting similarities to my Danzig 1914 rework, most notably the additional acceptance for the barrel: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....2370a-y-Rework
    Thanks Cyrus!
    Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    That’s neat, I love the bolt renumbering, I’ve never seen one like that. Forgive my ignorance of imperial practices, but I would have expected a depot marking on the BP, I guess that’s not always the case? I love the almost cartoonish assembly numbers on the barrel and receiver.
    Thanks Clay! You are correct, you'd generally see a depot mark on the buttplate (though some are unattributed) I don't believe that the arsenals engaged in buttplate markings either.

The giveaway this is danzig is the font on the new barrel, 4th RR acceptance being a known danzig one and the "character" of the work.

Great rifle Chris and I agree with Clay I love the way the bolt is numbered talk about being a recycler using it three times! But as we know these early made 1914 dated rifles were used quite hard.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by chrisftk View Post
    Thanks Cyrus!Thanks Clay! You are correct, you'd generally see a depot mark on the buttplate (though some are unattributed) I don't believe that the arsenals engaged in buttplate markings either.

The giveaway this is danzig is the font on the new barrel, 4th RR acceptance being a known danzig one and the "character" of the work.

Ahh that makes sense, yeah not being too familiar with this era of depot work, all I could see was the RR to correlate Danzig, I’ll study the other details in case I might happen to remember them in the future! The ghost numbering on the cocking piece is neat, the pin is slightly proud now that it has been re-profiled.
    Looking for commercials

That's a warhorse with lots of history. What a great gewehr!
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana

A very nice example, I agree with the Danzig attribution. trends suggest the extra C/D (usually) represents a barrel replaced by Danzig with the typical Danzig features, most notably the FP. Often the rifles are not this complete, often a thorough mix of salvaged parts, but certainly the known facts suggest a Danzig connection, the FP style also tends to date these, (Danzig FP vary by range) but how these were conducted, at Danzig, a separate operation or affiliated with Danzig (like Hannover/H seems associated with Spandau) can only be guessed at. Someone like Storz or a German archive diver is probably the only hope of a definitive answer.

Neat rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by feldmütze View Post
    That's a warhorse with lots of history. What a great gewehr!
    Thanks Mike! Happy new year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    A very nice example, I agree with the Danzig attribution. trends suggest the extra C/D (usually) represents a barrel replaced by Danzig with the typical Danzig features, most notably the FP. Often the rifles are not this complete, often a thorough mix of salvaged parts, but certainly the known facts suggest a Danzig connection, the FP style also tends to date these, (Danzig FP vary by range) but how these were conducted, at Danzig, a separate operation or affiliated with Danzig (like Hannover/H seems associated with Spandau) can only be guessed at. Someone like Storz or a German archive diver is probably the only hope of a definitive answer.

Neat rifle!
    Thanks Paul. I know they don't get the love that a factory matcher, but these arsenal/depot builds are one of my favorites. They seem to be overlooked by many who don't understand the renumbering conventions. I've had people dismiss them as "humped" or "bubba"-- I don't mind; keeps prices lower!

I may reach out to Storz when I get a moment and pick his brain on potential depot connection to Danzig. He's always been friendly to my correspondence. Unfortunately, getting much of anything in depth on Danzig seems challenging.