Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waffenfabrik mauser a-g oberndorf a/n 1915

Lovely 1914! Tell me more about how you can tell the sling is “Navy”, it looks thicker than ones I own but otherwise similar. What is the defining characteristic?

Quote Originally Posted by CLG View Post
    Lovely 1914! Tell me more about how you can tell the sling is “Navy”, it looks thicker than ones I own but otherwise similar. What is the defining characteristic?
    If you look at the quick detach there is a weimar/nazi era "N" and some numbers. That's Nordsee (North sea) weapon#

I have an Ostsee (Baltic) marked one.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Ah! I need to spend more time looking. I’ve owned dozens of quick detaches over years but none were marked. Did other units mark them?

Quote Originally Posted by CLG View Post
    Ah! I need to spend more time looking. I’ve owned dozens of quick detaches over years but none were marked. Did other units mark them?
    You'll see unit markings rarely. I would imagine only the older prewar slings would be though.

Thanks for the compliments. This was my very first Gew98 and I got it from a fellow gun club member some forty years ago. Back then all you had, was the shotguns news, a limited amount of shows, club meetings and like minded friends. I don't recall were I got the sling but it did not come with the rifle.

It was mentioned that the stock disc may have been flipped......which means.....a unit mark on other side? I do not have a proper driver to remove the screw and check the other side, so my curiosity will have to wait until I come up with something.
    -Peter

wtb: bnz single claw sniper scope with rings.

"History is always written by the victor and the histories of the losing parties belong to the shrinking circle of those who were there" Jochen Peiper.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Thanks for the compliments. This was my very first Gew98 and I got it from a fellow gun club member some forty years ago. Back then all you had, was the shotguns news, a limited amount of shows, club meetings and like minded friends. I don't recall were I got the sling but it did not come with the rifle.

It was mentioned that the stock disc may have been flipped......which means.....a unit mark on other side? I do not have a proper driver to remove the screw and check the other side, so my curiosity will have to wait until I come up with something.
    Regarding the flipped disk, the wood is proud around the disc. Unless you've got experience it would be best to pass on that endeavor to keep from honking up that beautiful wood....
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by feldmütze View Post
    Regarding the flipped disk, the wood is proud around the disc. Unless you've got experience it would be best to pass on that endeavor to keep from honking up that beautiful wood....

Not very likely anyway, probably not worth the risk. Bayonets and 98a are more likely during the war. Not sure I have seen a distinct unit marked G98 (distinct in the sense of a full identifiable unit, rarely a few numbers show up...)

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Not very likely anyway, probably not worth the risk. Bayonets and 98a are more likely during the war. Not sure I have seen a distinct unit marked G98 (distinct in the sense of a full identifiable unit, rarely a few numbers show up...)
    I have a Hannover build with a Reserve Infantry regt. Nr. 245 on it. Hard to date it, as they used a salvaged receiver, but I would imagine early 1915. My 1915 WOK also has a disc with cancelled unit marks on both sides of the disc.

So I'd say not unprecedented, but unlikely. I've become fairly proficient at flipping these without damage, but it is an art and hard to explain over text. In any case, I agree, probably not worth the risks on such proud wood.

Okay, you talked me out of removing the disc. The last thing I want to do is screw up the stock.
    -Peter

wtb: bnz single claw sniper scope with rings.

"History is always written by the victor and the histories of the losing parties belong to the shrinking circle of those who were there" Jochen Peiper.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Okay, you talked me out of removing the disc. The last thing I want to do is screw up the stock.
    Yeah, if it were, say, a 1901 Spandau with a flipped disc, I'd come help you flip it back, as odds would be good for an interesting unit mark. A 1915 is very unlikely to have anything.