Third Party Press

Someone please explain this?

There is a new book with all the same information. Why on Earth would someone pay this much for Hitler's Garand? :facepalm:

Sold for $300 on 1/5/2021
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888371391

That’s ridiculous! I will say that a collector needs all three books; HG and Rough Forged vol.’s 1 & 2. There’s information and photos that are not in HG that are in Rough Forged and visa versa. But the $300 and $1600 price tags for HG....I haven’t got a clue.

Maybe because it sits on a grey blanket?

Ding ding ding... and there's the answer. 23 bids and 10,000 views. :facepalm: I'm convinced he could place a turd (yes an actual turd) on that blanket and have idiots fighting over it.

If you don't have a presence on one of the major collectors forums.....how would you even know Rough Forged is out? I'm sure there are plenty of collectors that have no idea he updated it. Especially with gunshows not being huge right now. First editions will always hold some type of value. Backbone still brings money.

I have to agree... reference book in general seem to hold value and go up in value.. And until the release of re-release of this book it was bringing that kind of $$ cause it was out of print which it still is.. Some may even prefer it to rough forged.
Who know and its not money wasted IMHO... could be buying bobble heads or precious moments figurines ..

Hitler's Garands is a great book. When Rough Forged was coming out I didn't even consider selling my copy.

I am a little surprised he got that much for a used book though, even though it seems to be in excellent condition.

There is a lot of truth to that. The 300 doesn't seen so crazy compared to that Canadian bookseller.

It's not just one.

Check out all of the offerings on that Canadian Amazon site. All different sellers. Prices:

$1588, new
$1215, used, "Book Bargains"
$1217, used, "calibris"
$1215, used, "Paper Cavalier Canada"
$1222, used, "Books Unplugged"
$1260, used, "Books Mela."

Some of these sellers are in the UK and USA.

Oddly enough none of these sellers, or prices, appear on the Amazon USA listings; top price there is a mere $944 (Hurry! Quantities limited! Act now!)

https://www.amazon.com/Hitlers-Gara...d=1&keywords=0889352755&qid=1609978829&sr=8-1

My read is... sellers know Canadians will fall for this, so that's where they list 'em. :behindsofa:

I bank on these idiots to help pay for my collection. As soon as I heard of the new books, I dropped my old one to cash in. It paid for the set and I have a pile of money left over. I don’t view them as a three volume set, although others are welcome to.

I just offloaded my copy of FN Browning Pistols. A third edition is coming out soon.

https://www.fnbrowning.com/book-fn-browning-pistols-3rd-editio

This is something I do fairly often, probably 6-7 times now. I dumped my copy of Dolf’s Vickers book when I heard another was coming out. Still waiting for it to show in the mail.

I bank on these idiots to help pay for my collection. As soon as I heard of the new books, I dropped my old one to cash in. It paid for the set and I have a pile of money left over. I don’t view them as a three volume set, although others are welcome to.

I just offloaded my copy of FN Browning Pistols. A third edition is coming out soon.

https://www.fnbrowning.com/book-fn-browning-pistols-3rd-editio

This is something I do fairly often, probably 6-7 times now. I dumped my copy of Dolf’s Vickers book when I heard another was coming out. Still waiting for it to show in the mail.

I agree. I sold my copy a couple years ago when the new book was announced. If Hitler's Garand had good info then why was it not included in the new books? And if the new books are complete then why do I need Hitler's Garand?

300? That guy got a better deal than the buyer who bought mine. I got $370 for the copy of HG I had. I listed it on ebay IIRC in 2019 and thats what the bidders ran it up to.

It’ll move too. I have a copy of HGs but I have no interest in selling it. I think the new 2 volume set is a fantastic addition but I do think most serious collectors would still prefer all three books, but that’s just my two cents. I was fortunate enough to grab my HG copy at a pretty fair price several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll move too. I have a copy of HGs but I have no interest in selling it. I think the new 2 volume set is a fantastic addition but I do think most serious collectors would still prefer all three books, but that’s just my two cents. I was fortunate enough to grab my HG copy at a pretty fair price several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree...I believe the intent by Darrin was to have the two Volume Set as an adjunct to his first book, hence one reason why it wasn't a book revision like Sturmgewehr.
He released the two new volumes to provide more information and to correct any mistakes in his first book. I know he has taken some heat for leaving information out of these two volumes and/or for having some mistakes. We not infallible, so I really don't blame him one bit.

Same goes for BBOTW, it is still a good book and an excellent book for the time. However as we all know better books and more knowledge has been discovered.

Military Rifle Journal
Back