Third Party Press

Very early duv44 G.43

Absolut

It was a tough decision whether to buy this rifle or not, since the price was affordable but at the higher range. I finally decided to take it home with me, despite the big minus it has: the stock once had been cut apart in the pistol grip area, but was later professionally repaired (looking at the layer lines of the laminate wood it seems a few mm are missing though). My guess is that this might once had been a poacher rifle to be hidden inside a backpack since the two parts were affixed together using thick wooden bolts and later was permanentely glued, but this is just a wild guess.

Anyway, what was a bit weird was the fact that the bolt carrier had no serial where it usually should have one. Then when having it at home I took it apart and found the whole bolt assembly to be matching numbers. It took me another half an hour later to discover the bolt carrier to be serialized atop at the very front - then it became obvious: this is a very early rifle from the no-letter block, these were serialized in a different location than the later ones! And it isn't only a no-letter block rifle, it in fact is serial #260, so made in the very first days at Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik. Every part on this rifle is matching numbers, including the stock - the whole bolt assembly (aside of the bolt carrier) is EP serialized. The stock, despite being cut apart and repaired, is very nicely stamped - as it should be on the right side and right behind the trigger guard with the Waffenamt, and on bottom with the rifle serial. These are tough to picture, took a second spot light to highlight the Waffenamt-acceptance on the right side of the stock. Otherwise this rifle is quite textbook, resin handguard, threaded muzzle, stepped barrel and bolt carrier Waffenamt acceptance on top at the very rear.

Attachments

• duv44_01.jpg
    duv44_01.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 81
  • duv44_02.jpg
    duv44_02.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 74
  • duv44_03.jpg
    duv44_03.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 61
  • duv44_04.jpg
    duv44_04.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 79
  • duv44_05.jpg
    duv44_05.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 70
  • duv44_06.jpg
    duv44_06.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 67
  • duv44_07.jpg
    duv44_07.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 89
  • duv44_08.jpg
    duv44_08.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 65
  • duv44_09.jpg
    duv44_09.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 72
  • duv44_10.jpg
    duv44_10.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 62
  • duv44_11.jpg
    duv44_11.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 54
  • duv44_12.jpg
    duv44_12.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 59
I like it. Thanks for the pics. Bolt carrier number like a G41 and some of the other features.
Stock cut scar, don’t matter much, be great if it wasn’t there of course, but it is and it’s the original
And that early number, very nice so it’s ok.
Nice pick up.

Thanks - I'm quite happy with it myself. Noticed Claus Espeholt lists only two serials that are lower (documented), but both of them appear incomplete. And Darrin Weaver in his new book shows a rifle from Rock Island Auction that has a serial already close to 1000. So quite happy to have such an early piece!

Military Rifle Journal
Back