Third Party Press

Swept back sniper

k98zf39

I bought a swept back mount from Robert S. In 2005 and have yet to do anything with it. It appears to be of excellent quality. Does anyone know how to properly locate and attach the base on one of these? I would like to do it correctly.

One of many projects. Hope this helps.
Rail is soldered on. Tight clearance to bolt release.

Attachments

• 20210110_110508.jpg
    20210110_110508.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 106
For what I remember the base is soldered and originally pinned with two pins. Good luck with your project!

I would do it on a milling machine. Dismount the barrel, insert a mandrel and set them up on a milling machine. Touch off on both sides the mandrel to find the centerline (you want it so it is aligned/parallel with the bore).

Here's the part I can't do w/out a schematic: Where do the holes for the pins go? If the drawing is from the face of the receiver, then it is matter of moving the table so the mill will be over the spot to be drilled. After the first hole is milled out, then move the table the distance required for second pin hole. A DRO helps here. After the two pin holes are drilled, dry run assemble. If everything lines up, tin both the receiver and the mount. Drive in the pins and heat the mount and receiver up to with a propane torch solder them together.

The factories had it easier. They made jigs so the worker didn't have to fiddle faddle with adjusting the workpiece on the mill. Mount the jig on the receiver and put them on the milling machine and off you go!

Hint: take it to a gunsmith with a milling machine. Even then you will have to provide plans to show the location of the pin holes.

I would say it was the most challenging mount I've done- compared to SSR and LSR. mine is pinned and soldered.

5HEihC6.jpg

GX5Eidp.jpg

nztM0Q5.jpg

47ILBee.jpg

xwynn6C.jpg

IRGxn19.jpg

V6d3vM2.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back