Third Party Press

Chapter 6 Pages 374-409: Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
Discussion for Chapter 6 Pages 374-409: Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde.

Next couple chapters are pretty short. Should be able to work through them pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Anybody here on the forum have a 1937 S/243 fiberglass resin stocked rifle in their collection? How awesome would that be?

An interesting chapter describing the support (and meddling) of the RKM to ramp up production of K98k. The S/243 G pictured on page 392 is stunningly mint !

Some questions:
- what is the earliest S/243 1937 observed with a laminated stock ?
- what is the latest 243 1939 observed with a Weimar eagle firing proof stamp ?

An interesting chapter describing the support (and meddling) of the RKM to ramp up production of K98k. The S/243 G pictured on page 392 is stunningly mint !

Some questions:
- what is the earliest S/243 1937 observed with a laminated stock ?
- what is the latest 243 1939 observed with a Weimar eagle firing proof stamp ?

I wish I could answer these questions for you. I am learning so much about the overall K98 background that the details pass by sometimes. I know Mike or Bruce will be along to answer this. I really appreciate you reading through these chapters with me. I am about to start on the next one, Erma!

I wish I could answer these questions for you. I am learning so much about the overall K98 background that the details pass by sometimes. I know Mike or Bruce will be along to answer this. I really appreciate you reading through these chapters with me. I am about to start on the next one, Erma!

You're welcome. Even if unanswered, questions will stay there like a message in the bottle. I bet more people will join for Vol II. Cheers.

Use of laminate stocks by Borsigwalde

We are sure that the lead firms of Mauser and JP Sauer used laminates late in 1937.
Mauser Oberndorf did the engineering on the material and performed testing on suitability.

From Mauser records, 1,180 rifles were assembled with laminate stocks in October 1937.
A total of 24,140 rifles equipped with laminate stocks were shipped by the end of 1937.

These laminates will be found mainly in the last letter blocks of 1937 - v,w,x,y, and z.

Being that the Berlin facility was an important part of K98k production with respect to Mauser corporate, it
would not surprise me that there was interaction between the two factories on the use of the new laminate.

I have one non-verified rifle in the 'h' block of 1937 Berlin production that appears to have a factory fitted laminate
stock.

It would make sense that if any early laminates show up in Borsigwalde 1937 production, they would be in that block.

Laminates appear in multiple blocks late in Mauser Oberndorf 1937 production, and then used concurrently with walnut for the
remainder of production up to April 1945. Laminate became the primary stock type by 1938.

Mauser Oberndorf did the engineering on the material and performed testing on suitability.
[...]
I have one non-verified rifle in the 'h' block of 1937 Berlin production that appears to have a factory fitted laminate
stock.

It would make sense that if any early laminates show up in Borsigwalde 1937 production, they would be in that block.

Thanks Bruce ! As 'h' is apparently the last block of 1937 for Mauser Berlin, it would mean they used laminated stocks at the very end of 1937, contrary to Oberndorf doing this some months earlier in 1937.
When reading the chapter, I had the impression that Mauser Berlin, experimenting with the fiber glass stock, was also leading the way regarding laminated stocks.

Hi @all,

I registered myself to get some information reg. the K98 with resin stock. I attempted to find some information about this stock, but information are really seldom.

I got my hands on such a K98 s. pictures

It is S243 from 1937 SN: 7583C. All numbers are similar inkl the stock.

I also found a link to a picture from a exhibition in 1937 in Düsseldorf, where such stocks were shown.
I also see some auctions with a price of appr. 10.000 $

May, somebody has some pictures to compare or will get in contact with me.

First of all, I just collect information about this and maybe a price about the value of such a gun.

I also contact some special experts in Germany. One of them said, that this stock is no fake. The other one will come next week

I would be happy to get some news

Best regards,

K98resin

Attachments

• IMG_5085.JPG
    IMG_5085.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5086.JPG
    IMG_5086.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5094.JPG
    IMG_5094.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5095.JPG
    IMG_5095.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5099.JPG
    IMG_5099.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5101.JPG
    IMG_5101.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5103.JPG
    IMG_5103.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5105.JPG
    IMG_5105.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5106.JPG
    IMG_5106.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 39
Hi @all,

I registered myself to get some information reg. the K98 with resin stock. I attempted to find some information about this stock, but information are really seldom.

I also found a link to a picture from a exhibition in 1937 in Düsseldorf, where such stocks were shown.

First of all, I just collect information about this and maybe a price about the value of such a gun.

I also contact some special experts in Germany. One of them said, that this stock is no fake. The other one will come next week

Best regards,

K98resin
There are some pages about the fiberglass stock between p.387 and p.391 of Vol I.
Production estimate is a thousand.
If you’re German, you may contact the museums in Koblenz or Dresden, it deserves to be there IMHO.

Hi @all,

Best regards,

K98resin
About the pic from the SZ archives posted by @K98Resin ,
1672338882192.png

the exhibition "Schaffendes Volk" in Düsseldorf started in May 1937:

Military Rifle Journal
Back