Third Party Press

Thread: Chapter 6 Pages 374-409: Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

Default Chapter 6 Pages 374-409: Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde

Discussion for Chapter 6 Pages 374-409: Mauser Berlin-Borsigwalde.

Next couple chapters are pretty short. Should be able to work through them pretty quickly.
    Last edited by ugafx4; 01-24-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Anybody here on the forum have a 1937 S/243 fiberglass resin stocked rifle in their collection? How awesome would that be?

Senior Member Guillaume d'Orange's Avatar

An interesting chapter describing the support (and meddling) of the RKM to ramp up production of K98k. The S/243 G pictured on page 392 is stunningly mint !

Some questions:
    - what is the earliest S/243 1937 observed with a laminated stock ?
    - what is the latest 243 1939 observed with a Weimar eagle firing proof stamp ?

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume d'Orange View Post
    An interesting chapter describing the support (and meddling) of the RKM to ramp up production of K98k. The S/243 G pictured on page 392 is stunningly mint !

Some questions:
    - what is the earliest S/243 1937 observed with a laminated stock ?
    - what is the latest 243 1939 observed with a Weimar eagle firing proof stamp ?
    I wish I could answer these questions for you. I am learning so much about the overall K98 background that the details pass by sometimes. I know Mike or Bruce will be along to answer this. I really appreciate you reading through these chapters with me. I am about to start on the next one, Erma!

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post
    I wish I could answer these questions for you. I am learning so much about the overall K98 background that the details pass by sometimes. I know Mike or Bruce will be along to answer this. I really appreciate you reading through these chapters with me. I am about to start on the next one, Erma!
    You're welcome. Even if unanswered, questions will stay there like a message in the bottle. I bet more people will join for Vol II. Cheers.

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Use of laminate stocks by Borsigwalde

We are sure that the lead firms of Mauser and JP Sauer used laminates late in 1937.
    Mauser Oberndorf did the engineering on the material and performed testing on suitability.

From Mauser records, 1,180 rifles were assembled with laminate stocks in October 1937.
    A total of 24,140 rifles equipped with laminate stocks were shipped by the end of 1937.

These laminates will be found mainly in the last letter blocks of 1937 - v,w,x,y, and z.

Being that the Berlin facility was an important part of K98k production with respect to Mauser corporate, it
    would not surprise me that there was interaction between the two factories on the use of the new laminate.

I have one non-verified rifle in the 'h' block of 1937 Berlin production that appears to have a factory fitted laminate
    stock.

It would make sense that if any early laminates show up in Borsigwalde 1937 production, they would be in that block.

Laminates appear in multiple blocks late in Mauser Oberndorf 1937 production, and then used concurrently with walnut for the
    remainder of production up to April 1945. Laminate became the primary stock type by 1938.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    Mauser Oberndorf did the engineering on the material and performed testing on suitability.
    [...]
    I have one non-verified rifle in the 'h' block of 1937 Berlin production that appears to have a factory fitted laminate
    stock.

It would make sense that if any early laminates show up in Borsigwalde 1937 production, they would be in that block.
    Thanks Bruce ! As 'h' is apparently the last block of 1937 for Mauser Berlin, it would mean they used laminated stocks at the very end of 1937, contrary to Oberndorf doing this some months earlier in 1937.
    When reading the chapter, I had the impression that Mauser Berlin, experimenting with the fiber glass stock, was also leading the way regarding laminated stocks.