Third Party Press

Thread: Found ammo crate type B Luftdichter Patronenkasten B for 4180 9mm's for MP40 's

Default Found ammo crate type B Luftdichter Patronenkasten B for 4180 9mm's for MP40 's

Just found and purchased this ammo crate, it's a common type B Luftdichter Patronenkasten but with the markings that it is used for "4180 Pistolenpatronen 08" 9mm ammo only intend for use with machinepistols (mainly MP40's I guess).
    Don't see those kind of markings to often so I added it to my modest weapon related collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by ser View Post
    Just found and purchased this ammo crate, it's a common type B Luftdichter Patronenkasten but with the markings that it is used for "4180 Pistolenpatronen 08" 9mm ammo only intend for use with machinepistols (mainly MP40's I guess).
    Don't see those kind of markings to often so I added it to my modest weapon related collection.
    That is pretty cool, very nice - I have one for MP44 ammo, which I use to store my Kurz ammo collection, I think they're great pieces of history.

Yes, those crates are nice items even my wife likes them, so I have a pair laying in the living room. (Flak chest, 88 chest and a AZ23 chest), I like them especially if they still have there markings on them and are original as possible.,

Your crate is also marked with tickets regarding the 2100 Kurzpatronen ammo once stocked in it?
    Last edited by ser; 01-13-2021 at 05:23 AM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Very cool. Had not realized that P.08 ammo had been made that was for use only in machine pistols. I wonder why this was. Was it "hotter" ammo? Not as well made? Dimensionally different somehow?

Especially wonder why it would be labeled P.08 when it was not for use in the P.08.

My father was a combat engineer in the ETO. He said that after awhile, most members of his unit wore captured German Lugers or P.38s as side arms. He said that a directive came out that German 9mm ammo was not to be used in them because it was "too hot".
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

The ammo designation is "Pistolenpatronen 08" (pistol cartridge of 08 not cartridge for P08).

The ammo is not loaded hotter. The reason for not being used in the P08 is the steel case. The P08 had extraction problems with steel cased ammo due to the chamber design.
    Last edited by Peter S; 01-18-2021 at 01:17 PM.
    -Peter

wtb: bnz single claw sniper scope with rings.

"History is always written by the victor and the histories of the losing parties belong to the shrinking circle of those who were there" Jochen Peiper.