Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posen (?) Depot Build

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    ..I suspect early Posen work because of the heavy grinding and serial/suffix on the barrel
    Yeah you can really see the grinding particularly on the floor plate and firing pin (looks like trace of the same serial too) and I suspose they did this where it 'mattered' at the time of the build.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    All that said, I like it. Don’t get caught up on mismatched small parts on reworks, these guys didn’t seem to care.
    Me too for sure. I noticed the ejector box is mismatched but again I suppose it didn't matter when this was put together. Thinking maybe they had a 'list' at the time of work that was required and if it wasn't on the list they didn't mess with it. Lot's of the odd parts seem to be ones that were commonly suppled to the ordinance spares so no heartburn over those bits either.

Thanks for the input as always!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Thanks Guys-- appreciate all the feedback as always! Glad I went with my gut on buying this one.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisftk View Post
    Thanks Guys-- appreciate all the feedback as always! Glad I went with my gut on buying this one.
    Yeah, nice grab. Price depending I'm sure I would have had a hard time passing too. It's got a great vibe whereas a MM is just a soulless turd IMHO.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Very nice rifle!

I think it's a wonderful rifle Chris I need to get my Posen depot rifle posted up here pretty soon to compare the two it has a bunch of interesting parts.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    ..I need to get my Posen depot rifle posted up here pretty soon
    Yes please! I understand with the amount of photos you've been taking I might have to wait a bit but I'll be waiting and watching for it. Seems they're some real 'hidden gems'. Wonder how long until fraudsters figure that out and start boosting fake depot rifles? I hope not but it seems inevitable. Like Ham always says they're not faking bottle caps or pocket lint.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    I think it's a wonderful rifle Chris I need to get my Posen depot rifle posted up here pretty soon to compare the two it has a bunch of interesting parts.
    Thanks buddy-- looking forward to seeing yours. Funny, you, Marc and I all score one back to back. Hot streak for our crew! Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere011 View Post
    Very nice rifle!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Yeah, nice grab. Price depending I'm sure I would have had a hard time passing too. It's got a great vibe whereas a MM is just a soulless turd IMHO.
    I wouldn't have minded paying less(who wouldn't?), but I don't regret buying it, so that's all that matters.

Yes please! I understand with the amount of photos you've been taking I might have to wait a bit but I'll be waiting and watching for it. Seems they're some real 'hidden gems'. Wonder how long until fraudsters figure that out and start boosting fake depot rifles? I hope not but it seems inevitable. Like Ham always says they're not faking bottle caps or pocket lint.
    Yeah, far from an absolute, but my rule of thumb for depot vs humped renumbering has usually been the depot guys look like they didn't even care. The "good" humpers have some semblance of trying to look right and the bad ones look just cartoonish.

It is quite the rifle the bolt group alone has well over eight different manufacturers!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by chrisftk View Post
    Yeah, far from an absolute, but my rule of thumb for depot vs humped renumbering has usually been the depot guys look like they didn't even care. The "good" humpers have some semblance of trying to look right and the bad ones look just cartoonish.
    And thankfully we can still usually tell... even on the 'good' ones.