Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Posen (?) Depot Build

  1. #11
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    ..I suspect early Posen work because of the heavy grinding and serial/suffix on the barrel
    Yeah you can really see the grinding particularly on the floor plate and firing pin (looks like trace of the same serial too) and I suspose they did this where it 'mattered' at the time of the build.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    All that said, I like it. Don’t get caught up on mismatched small parts on reworks, these guys didn’t seem to care.
    Me too for sure. I noticed the ejector box is mismatched but again I suppose it didn't matter when this was put together. Thinking maybe they had a 'list' at the time of work that was required and if it wasn't on the list they didn't mess with it. Lot's of the odd parts seem to be ones that were commonly suppled to the ordinance spares so no heartburn over those bits either.

    Thanks for the input as always!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  2. #12
    Senior Member chrisftk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Thanks Guys-- appreciate all the feedback as always! Glad I went with my gut on buying this one.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisftk View Post
    Thanks Guys-- appreciate all the feedback as always! Glad I went with my gut on buying this one.
    Yeah, nice grab. Price depending I'm sure I would have had a hard time passing too. It's got a great vibe whereas a MM is just a soulless turd IMHO.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Very nice rifle!

  5. #15
    ax - hole Warrior1354's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,335

    Default

    I think it's a wonderful rifle Chris I need to get my Posen depot rifle posted up here pretty soon to compare the two it has a bunch of interesting parts.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

    Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

  6. #16
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    ..I need to get my Posen depot rifle posted up here pretty soon
    Yes please! I understand with the amount of photos you've been taking I might have to wait a bit but I'll be waiting and watching for it. Seems they're some real 'hidden gems'. Wonder how long until fraudsters figure that out and start boosting fake depot rifles? I hope not but it seems inevitable. Like Ham always says they're not faking bottle caps or pocket lint.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  7. #17
    Senior Member chrisftk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    I think it's a wonderful rifle Chris I need to get my Posen depot rifle posted up here pretty soon to compare the two it has a bunch of interesting parts.
    Thanks buddy-- looking forward to seeing yours. Funny, you, Marc and I all score one back to back. Hot streak for our crew! Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere011 View Post
    Very nice rifle!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Yeah, nice grab. Price depending I'm sure I would have had a hard time passing too. It's got a great vibe whereas a MM is just a soulless turd IMHO.
    I wouldn't have minded paying less(who wouldn't?), but I don't regret buying it, so that's all that matters.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  8. #18
    Senior Member chrisftk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Yes please! I understand with the amount of photos you've been taking I might have to wait a bit but I'll be waiting and watching for it. Seems they're some real 'hidden gems'. Wonder how long until fraudsters figure that out and start boosting fake depot rifles? I hope not but it seems inevitable. Like Ham always says they're not faking bottle caps or pocket lint.
    Yeah, far from an absolute, but my rule of thumb for depot vs humped renumbering has usually been the depot guys look like they didn't even care. The "good" humpers have some semblance of trying to look right and the bad ones look just cartoonish.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  9. #19
    ax - hole Warrior1354's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Yes please! I understand with the amount of photos you've been taking I might have to wait a bit but I'll be waiting and watching for it. Seems they're some real 'hidden gems'. Wonder how long until fraudsters figure that out and start boosting fake depot rifles? I hope not but it seems inevitable. Like Ham always says they're not faking bottle caps or pocket lint.
    It is quite the rifle the bolt group alone has well over eight different manufacturers!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

    Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

  10. #20
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisftk View Post
    Yeah, far from an absolute, but my rule of thumb for depot vs humped renumbering has usually been the depot guys look like they didn't even care. The "good" humpers have some semblance of trying to look right and the bad ones look just cartoonish.
    And thankfully we can still usually tell... even on the 'good' ones.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Military Rifle Journal