Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posen (?) Depot Build

Default Posen (?) Depot Build

Hi guys,

This one was mentioned on another thread, but thought I'd do a clean post for the photo spread.

As many of you know I love Suhl rifles (particularly Gew98s and Sauer k98k), but also enjoy depot work. I have a half dozen depot rifles and thought this would fit well, despite being priced at the higher end of what I'd want to pay. I won't name members here but a few were peer pressuring me too.

The rifle, at least to me, looks like typical Posen work. The receiver is a '17 Haenel Gew 98(weird flaw damage on the underside) and a combination of Imperial and Nazi era parts were used in the build. The stock is a later Mauser armorer spare.

Rather than a serial study, I thought it would be more interesting to point out what was used and if it was force matched.

Receiver: Haenel Suhl '17
    Barrel: Suhl e/214 (matched)
    Bolt body: Astrawerke e/1 (matched)
    Bolt shroud: (suspected imperial)(matched)
    Cocking piece: (imperial)(matched)
    Firing pin: (imperial) (matched)
    Safety: (imperial) (matched)
    Extractor: e/135
    Extractor collar: e/18
    Ejector box: unmarked
    Stock: e/655 byf armorer (matched)
    Handguard: "c" (matched)
    Front band: (imperial, milled parade hook) (matched)
    Rear band: unmarked, (matched)
    Band spring: e/37
    Triggerguard: (imperial) (matched)
    Floorplate: unknown, (matched)
    Front screw: unmarked
    Rear screw: no inspection
    Lock screws: one imperial, one blank
    Follower: e/1
    Rear sight sleeve: s/42 e/63
    Rear sight ramp: p74
    Rear sight leaf: elite diamant "i"
    Rear sight slider: e/655
    Rear sight button: e/18
    Front sight blade: unmarked
    Front sight base: unmarked
    Bayonet lug: e/6
    Buttplate: dwc e/142 (matched)
    Trigger/sear: unmarked
    Recoil lug: (imperial)

My only area of concern was the rear sight, which used an ecceletic mix of parts, mostly unnumbered except the ramp, which has a mm #. Based on the overall finish and look though I think it is OK.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisftk; 01-13-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Pics 2

Last couple

You got yourself a very interesting and nice rifle.

Yeah I like it alot. That recoil lug surface on the bottom of the receiver is still really interesting to me. Made wrong? Damaged? Definitely some neat quirks. The ramp looks like its been on the rifle awhile. Pretty neat piece overall!

John.

Sure is a cool rifle! Depots definitely let a lot of numbering go on small parts, bayo lugs seem to be the most common. The rear sight wear definitely matches well, can’t recall seeing any like that but it certainly doesn’t scream replacement.
    Looking for commercials

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Something else maybe the real knowledgable guys on depot work can ponder. Look at the font on the bands, bolt parts, butt plate and bottom metal. Quite different from the font on the barrel and receiver. The 4, 5 and 7 are all different and not what I'd expect from one of the factories. The 7 actually looks slightly larger (longer?) than the other digits. No serifs on the 4s on those parts either.

Does that font seem familiar for a certain depot?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Another question. Any thoughts on who made the butt plate? It seems from searching that Dr. Ing. Boehme u. Co., Werksleitung Luedenscheid, Werk Minden in Westfalen did a fair bit of diverse items in steel. Machine gun links. Gas tubes for the Stg 44. Grenade launcher but in that case it seems the waff is e/642 but inspection teams moved.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Default Posen (?) Depot Build

I’ve put many hours into trying to guess what depots reworked “unattributed” rifles like this and came to the conclusion it’s impossible to know for certain. But, clues such as the fact the barrel has a serial/suffix stamp can indicate timeframe and narrow down to certain depots. However, It seems clear to me with all I have seen that depots ordered number stamps from similar places, and regional depots may share fonts, and even change over time. Firing proofs can be clues too, but the issue in the end is some rifles had multiple reworks.

Just looking at it, I suspect early Posen work because of the heavy grinding and serial/suffix on the barrel, but just as likely a Hauptnebenzeugamt of Posen. Hell, could be a bad day at Spandau.

All that said, I like it. Don’t get caught up on mismatched small parts on reworks, these guys didn’t seem to care. Remember that reworks seem to follow TL guidelines in regards to numbered parts, and by late 41 serials were dropped on some of these components on normal production as well as reworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.
    不要支持中国人用假投票推着我们的假总统。

Really nice rifle Chris. I would love to find one of these Gew to 98k rifles too